Rockler DT jig question

Hello folks. :wave:

I've been away for a while now. Since December of '07 actually. This site has grown a bunch since my last visit.

My question regards the older BLUE version of this jig. A friend of mine , who used to be a member here , gave me one and I'm now just getting around to taking it out of the box and fiddling with it. I have the set-up template from Rockler to aid in the set up of my router and the fence on the jig.

Are there any tips or tricks I can use to make my set-up and use of this jig 'foolproof ' ? :)

Elliott

I have the Jet version of this jig & plan to use a 1/4" Black & Decker router I have setting on the shelf just set up & put back on the shelf exclusively for this jig. I figure I'll get a lot more use out of it if I don't have to go through the set up every time.

Elliot, I've got the same Rockler jig, but I've only used it a little. When I did use it, I used one of my PC 690s (don't remember which base I used). It seemed like a workable combination to me. I think I played around for about a half hour with scraps to get things dialed in, then I wrote SAVE on the final test piece used it the next time I need to set things up. (Using the same thickness of wood.) I used it for two joints, and haven't had a need for it since. If I was making a lot of dovetails, I'd go with the dedicated router idea.

Hey Bart.

I've been debating getting on of those $91.60 PC 691 routers from Amazon.com to use exclusively with the jig. I've heard they can be a bit 'fiddly'( is that a word ? ) to set-up.:dunno:

OC
Why not look for a good use 1/4" router wuth the trigger in the handle. Thats the way my B&D is set up. You could probable get one for quite a bit less then the PC its a great router I have the 3 base PC kit as well was the single base variable speed one. & plan to pick up another variable speed one.