Molding heads can be fun

For those of you that work with clay, a different idea may come to mind.:D
For the wood worker it is all together different.
THese are the three, 3 wing cutters I use most frequently on my unisaw. The larger is a craftsman that a friend has me hold for him. He would rather I have it on my saw than on his:dunno: .
molding heads and results.jpg
As you can see in the photo below I am prepared to use the triple bead, just like one Greg Cook had shown in a recent posting.
molding heads and results (2).jpg.
Exercising caution and using safety measures at all times, the results are usually fabulous.
molding heads and results (3).jpg
Shaz

The triple bead looks good! :thumb:

Question for you.... Do you have to take multiple passes with the molding head, or can it be done is a single pass?

thanks!
A single pass will work just fine, when the knives are sharp and even when they are not, it is usually just one pass.
The table saw molding knives get us into wooden throat plates for the table saw which I find becomes a learning process too. Too exciting to be omitted.
This Photo is for Greg Cook.:D
molding heads and results (5).jpg
Shaz

Very cool, Shaz... :thumb: Thanks. ( You are welcome, exercise caution and all will work out fine.) S

I guess I better get out my Delta, tighten everything down well and see what patterns I can make with the blades I have.

Is there a minimum Hp requirement for a table saw to use a molding cutter? ( This is something I do not know, but I'll bet 3/4 HP would work.) We need ask the more well versed machine people. S

Shaz, how many Hp is your TS? ( the one I run my molding heads on is an old "Delta" unisaw that may have been up graded. I am more Artsy than motor minded:D, so much to other people's dismay, I dunno...:) ) S

Thanks!
Hi Sean, :wave:
The tablesaw molding is a great compliment to the router and the shaper. The knives are usually 1" wide with a nice standard set of profiles available.
When running stock through the table saw it is best to use the largest piece you have as this will cut down of the vibration incurred by molding a piece of wood.:)
Shaz

Well, I got out the Delta molding attachment and then realized I didn't have a throat plate for it. A piece of my cedar stock and my scroll saw and I had a quick and dirty that would work. I put a sacrificial fence on and made a shallow cut. All looked good, so I raised the blade and ran the board through.

Interesting pattern.... I've got about 4 patterns, I think, including the ribbed one Shaz posted above.

Sean,

My saw is a 1.5hp Delta contractor saw, running on 220VAC. The board is cedar, which is soft. I have some oak I will try later.

Last edited:
I've got one of those deals, in a two-winged cutter with various shape knives that I inherited. They scare me just laying in the box in a drawer. Dunno if I'll ever use them. Intended to once. Put on saw and started. The whizzing sound and wind it caused scared me. I shut off, removed and never tried again. Mebbe someday.

Well, I got out the Delta molding attachment and then realized I didn't have a throat plate for it. A piece of my cedar stock and my scroll saw and I had a quick and dirty that would work. I put a sacrificial fence on and made a shallow cut. All looked good, so I raised the blade and ran the board through. Way to go Greg,:thumb: I knew you could, I knew you could:rofl: :D . You took the idea all the way through from setting your knives to making a throat plate and sacrificial fence. :wave: S

Interesting pattern.... I've got about 4 patterns, I think, including the ribbed one Shaz posted above.
Counting down to picture #5,The one with the large 1/4 round on the right of the profile, I think you will find that to be just about the max you want to cut. Those knives are used as multi purpose such as, just running the 1/4 round, or just the simple single bead but there have been times when the entire profile as you have run is used. Be creative but safe. :) S

Sean,

My saw is a 1.5hp Delta contractor saw, running on 220VAC. The board is cedar, which is soft. I have some oak I will try later.

I've got one of those deals, in a two-winged cutter with various shape knives that I inherited. Frank, show us a photo of the two wing cutters, they may be like the ones I use regularly, Mine are great, DEWALTS. S They scare me just laying in the box in a drawer. Dunno if I'll ever use them. Intended to once. Put on saw and started. The whizzing sound and wind it caused scared me. I understand the noise, a real surprise difference from the whiiir of a blade. :eek: S I shut off, removed and never tried again. Mebbe someday.

Basically, what Greg has done is discover a new and inexpensive way to make fancy base board for around the house and it is also great for long runs of a built up frieze below the crown. I use it for casing around doors and windows, for decorative touches on furniture and cabinets, to create my own beaded ceiling or paneling, so many uses. Have fun and work smart.
Shaz
P.S. Start by using a large piece of wood you feel safe holding on to and running through the saw/molder:D

Shaz,

Interesting about the blades being "multi cut". However, I would think that maybe the 1/4 round would be better on a router table/bit..?:huh: :dunno: I am now interesting in seeing what other blades I can find...maybe on craigslist, garage sales...etc..:thumb: :rofl:

Frank,

The blades "lock" in place with the allen set screws, so I feel pretty safe using the unit. I still remember first turning on my router...and the whirrrrrrrr sound it made. That was a bit intimidating too, but now I love using it.

Oh No!

Eeeeaaaaahh! :eek: Tod's right! What to do? :doh:

sliding-downhill-1.jpg

Somebody hep me!

:rofl:

Last edited:
You're both better men than I am. I've got one of those, that I got at an estate sale... looks like it's a well made one from the 60s. I just don't have the gumption to load the thing. Course, I shied away from a dado blade for a year, too... but at least that didn't have little chucks of spinning metal held on by a screw whose threads I could surely mess up... ;)

Worse, I've got a ton of trim to make... :(

Thanks,

Bill

custom molding cutters

Sometimes I re-grind :eek: Sears cutters to reproduce molding, like this 100+ year old molding. By clamping them together on the angle they were manufactured at, I can regrind a custom shape.

View attachment 12172
I just finished running 500 ft of this old door and window casing.
I have another brand of cutters, Richards, who also made a shaper head that the Sears cutters will fit in. The pic shows the Richards shaper head and the re-ground Sears cutters I made for this 3/8" bead, one half of the pattern.
View attachment 12171
For this molding I used an Asian 1/2" cove shaper cutter for the left edge, a Sears stock cutter ( close enough profile ) for the right edge on the shaper and on the table saw molding head the re-ground cutter, taking two passes to make the center section.
View attachment 12173
It was easier to do the center section flat on the TS than on edge on the shaper. I have an old 1/6 hp feeder on the old Unisaw.
View attachment 12174
Last pic is doing the right edge with the shaper using the stock Sears cutter.
View attachment 12179

Last edited:
Has anyone used one of these on a RAS?

I used to run one on my RAS. I say used to because my RAS crashed and I do not have one anymore. It worked good. Just keep you fingers out of there.

Thanks for starting this thread Robert! Sometimes I forget that I still have mine and could use it on the cabinetsaw. I don't know why I never think about that.

I wish tod would quit talking about shapers. I am low enough on woodworking funds as it is. I do find it hard to keep out of my mind.

Last edited:
Has anyone used one of these on a RAS? I use it on the RAS as needed. I did a console for a Masterbed room to accomodate audio video components and speakers a while back and the folks could not get what the wanted from the manufacturer, so I had to do a psuedo rope mold around the top as part of the "Look". I actually dislike when the rope only goes one way. So I made about 20', 10' left hand twist and 10' right hand twist with a molding head in the RAS. first set to the left at 22 1/2 degrees and then 10' to the right at 22 1/2degrees. Exercise caution and good sense. It opens a whole new world. Plan on test pieces:). ... Shaz Oh, you know what, I forgot, the rope molding also served as a mitred applique around the face of the three doors too. I need go take a photo of that one.

Sometimes I re-grind :eek: Sears cutters to reproduce molding, like this 100+ year old molding. By clamping them together on the angle they were manufactured at, I can regrind a custom shape.

View attachment 12172
I just finished running 500 ft of this old door and window casing.
I have another brand of cutters, Richards, who also made a shaper head that the Sears cutters will fit in. The pic shows the Richards shaper head and the re-ground Sears cutters I made for this 3/8" bead, one half of the pattern.
View attachment 12171
For this molding I used an Asian 1/2" cove shaper cutter for the left edge, a Sears stock cutter ( close enough profile ) for the right edge on the shaper and on the table saw molding head the re-ground cutter, taking two passes to make the center section.
View attachment 12173
It was easier to do the center section flat on the TS than on edge on the shaper. I have an old 1/6 hp feeder on the old Unisaw.
View attachment 12174
Last pic is doing the right edge with the shaper using the stock Sears cutter.
View attachment 12179
Hi Bryan,
That's great stuff and I'll bet really satisfying personally. It is great that you feel comfortable doing that regrinding.
.I too, like running it on the flat on the table saw....S

I used to run one on my RAS before the saw crashed and I never got another one. It worked good. Just keep you fingers out of there.

Thanks for starting this thread Robert! Sometimes I forget that I still have mine and could use it on the cabinetsaw. I don't know why I never think about that. ... Hi Allen, :wave: "Look into my eyes :eek::eek: :rolleyes:,,, From now on you will remember 'you have the ability' to create your own exquisite molding.":rofl::rofl::rofl: kidding aside you can and you know it!:D

I have the luxury of having two tablesaws so I just use the unisaw for molding and the stacked dado...S
They are a marvelous addition and they have their place.
Shaz