Bandsaw DC Tweak

glenn bradley

I guess this is a fixture(?). I noticed gap adjustment plates on a SCMI bandsaw and thought "Now here's a practical use for those AARP cards they keep sending me :thumb:. They're no good for shims becasue the lettering is raised.

Original gap is about 1" x 2" :eek:. Surprisingly, it does seem to help quite a bit. Of course, a larger DC would probably solve the issue more elegantly.

Brush backed off for clarity.

Attachments

• BS-Throat-Gap-002.jpg
    BS-Throat-Gap-002.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Cool. No melting of the plastic from heat? I use those sort of cards for glue spreaders but the heat from epoxy curing tends to melt them so they're not really re-usable.

Cool idea. How'd you attach it?

The brush bolts through it on one side, double stick tape on the other

Cool. No melting of the plastic from heat? I use those sort of cards for glue spreaders but the heat from epoxy curing tends to melt them so they're not really re-usable.

There seems to be adequate clearance. Gap is around .2" and blade is around .032". I'll keep an eye on it after some serious resawing. The SCMI had plastic plates about 1/4" thick so my cards may not be up to the task. I'll report back if they fail.

Doesn't that bandsaw have a slot for 1/2" plywood a little larger than the card to sit in for the blade to go through at that point? Jim.

Nope(?). Unless I'm missing something . . . it does happen ;-) that is a good idea though to use some ply instead of the cards if heat becomes an issue.

Last edited:
I enlarged your picture, and it doesn't look like it is set up the same. But with some Z bracing, I bet you could make some. Here is a picture of the Mini Max set up for some ideas. dscn2108.jpgdscn2109.jpg Don't worry about the wood in the second picture...I have a kerf cut in from each side...the blade really isn't twisted, I promise!!:wave: Jim.

I enlarged your picture, and it doesn't look like it is set up the same. But with some Z bracing, I bet you could make some. Here is a picture of the Mini Max set up for some ideas. View attachment 25554View attachment 25555 Don't worry about the wood in the second picture...I have a kerf cut in from each side...the blade really isn't twisted, I promise!!:wave: Jim.

Ooooh, I like it, I like it. Thanks!