Can you say old iron???

Bart Leetch

Woo Hoo I found out how old my Unisaw is tonight communicating with a guy the rebuilds them & has had several of the 100 series saws. With the the information I was able to provide him he was able to to establish it manufacture to be in 1940. So I have a pre-war Unisaw.

Bart, that is VERY cool, can you document this some how?

Don't know if it will make the saw worth more money, but it certainly makes it worth more to you!

Cheers!

Whats the serial number and where is it located? Is stamped on the angle indicator? I can check it against the list I have. 1939 was the first year for the saw it and A-100 (as far as anyone knows) was the first saw produced. Keith Bohn owns that saw.

If your's is a 1940 it is a very early one, second year of production.

Bart I have seen photos of yours but I don't remember it having flat dust doors, with no louvers in them. Doesn't it have the louvered doors? Also, do your dust doors have a back piece with two large round holes cut in them? Or are they a single stamped piece?

The reason I ask is that in '39 when the saw came out they had flat doors and of course 4 legs instead of a sold base. Somewhere in early 1940 (best guess) they switched over to the louvered doors. No one knows why or exactly when but there are a few reliable sources that have '40's with flat doors. Not many though and it assumed that they were early '40's and Delta was using the last of the flat doors they had in stock.

Don't know if it will make the saw worth more money, but it certainly makes it worth more to you!

Probably not from what I have seen. But there is a lot of Bragging Rights! :D After all that saw is ... 67 years old! There are some people that want a four footed 1939 model and will pay extra for it, but otherwise age doesn't seem to help value much. But if you like old machines that is a plus!

Then again, we have been discussing some of the prices certain parts have been bringing lately. Unisaw 'Goose Egg' motor covers for example. Two have gone for just over $300 in the last couple of weeks. Two years ago they were going for less than $150. The aluminum light that went on the bandsaws, scroll saws and may some others stuff have been bringing $75-$100. Belt guards for the bandsaws, $125. If this trend keeps up then old machines are not going to be that hidden bargain anymore. I hope not, because that is one thing that ran me out of the old car hobby.

Of course I have most everything I really want in old machines too. Except that big old C-frame bandsaw.

Jeff
No expert here, just curious

Last edited:
Jeff my saw has the 2 big holes & louvers in the front door. The serial number is 11-1170. Chris J over on Wood net & I exchanged several PMs last night including pictures & this serial number & this was his conclusion as to the year of manufacture.

That lines up with what I have and Chris is by far more knowledgeable than me.

Just curious on the dust doors. Thats the same style mine has. My shaper has them too, but they are so pitted I have ended up buying two newer ones to use on it rather than try to save these two. Sort of hated to it, but I will swap out the knobs and no one will know the difference with out removing them. Besides, I use my saw, not look at it.... well sometime I do admire it. :eek:

Jeff

My knob was missing as was the knob from the tilt control. On the door it now has a wooden shop built knob the kind you draw out & drill the holes around & then cut out leaving depressions in the outer edge to make gripping it easier I have it painted red & just press fit on the shaft. It almost looks like it belongs there. My door was in good shape. The saw had just set in the corner for the last 12 years before I got it & probably a lot longer before that because I recieved it in the same condition that the guy I purchased it from recieved it. It was purchased as a back up saw in case the one he was using broke down.

Attachments

• The Alfa & Omega.jpg
    The Alfa & Omega.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 1953 Delta Unisaw 034.jpg
    1953 Delta Unisaw 034.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: