?s on my built in work bench assembly.

Jim O'Dell

I've got most of the parts cut out for the legs and upper frame. I'm thinking about gluing and screwing things together. Is this the best way? or should I go get some lag bolts, or even carriage bolts and nuts to assemble it? Once built and installed, it can be pulled out from the alcove it will reside in if I need to move and want to take it with me. Is there an advantage to using lags or bolts? I'm thinking the glue and screws will be stronger in the end, but I want to do this right. Thanks for your ideas. Oh, and Frank P., if you read this. Most of the wood I got from HD for this is stamped that it is from Canada! :thumb:Jim.

No one had an opinon on this? That's strange.:rofl: Well, I decided to glue and screw it together. I made several mistakes along the way that I won't mention.:eek::eek:
I got a lot of the pieces cut out yesterday. That didn't mean things would go smoothly. Yesterday evening I had a honey bee in the shop that had gone beserk!! It kept flying into the flourescent lights and making a really loud noise. For fun, I turned that bank off, and turned on the other side of the shop. It changed sides. Hmmm. So I did it about 25 more times, and each time it went to the newly turned on light. I'm wondering if the buzz didn't remind him of his hive, and he couldn't find his way home. Now I'll usually let honey bees be, but after watching a rental car go from 1 bee on a tire, to about 3000 bees on that tire, making a huge ball that was the size of a cantelope, I decided I didn't want that to happen in my shop, so I ended the ordeal. So I should have known that things would not go smoothly from the get go.
The funniest thing is that I cut pieces and dry fitted the fram in place as I went, DSCN1451.jpgDSCN1452.jpgDSCN1453.jpg DSCN1456.jpgDSCN1450.jpgDSCN1455.jpgso I knew everything fit. Then I pulled it out to glue together. So I did the right thing and squared everything up, even joined 2 pipe clamps together to pull the unit back square. Glued and screwed on the lower back brace, then added the front legs. Thought I'd better put a couple screws in it before glueing it up. Tried to put it in the alcove, wouldn't fit. :doh: 1/4" too wide!!:doh::doh: Took the bottom stretcher off, and it went in just fine. Then the stretcher went back on. :huh: I figure the walls are that far out of plumb, and the legs are probably not square to the platform now, but it's steady, and that's all that matters.
Not sure when I'll get back out there to finish it. May spend some time Tuesday, but with the Mavericks and the Stars in post season play, it may be hard to find a day.:wave::thumb::thumb: Jim.
The main outside legs are 4X4 douglas fir, with the back and side apron 2X6 white wood stud, and the top is 2X yellow pine. I have a piece of 3/16" masonite to go on top. I got to the point of the back 2 top pieces cut and dry fitted.
I didn't take a picture of the 2 pieces of 2X laying on top, as it was almost 8:00 when Glenna came out to get me to stop. Besides, it's 8:40, supper is ready ,and the Mavericks are on!!! GO MAVS!! (sorry). Jim.

Not sure when I'll get back out there to finish it. May spend some time Tuesday, but with the Mavericks and the Stars in post season play, it may be hard to find a day.:wave::thumb::thumb: Jim.

Hey Jim,

Looks like that you will have plenty of time next week to finish it up as it appears as though the Mavericks are not going to make it to the second round. Golden State kind of looked like the Globe Trotters of the NBA against the Mavericks.

What are the "Stars"? A poker team or something?

Allen

Hey Jim,

Looks like that you will have plenty of time next week to finish it up as it appears as though the Mavericks are not going to make it to the second round. Golden State kind of looked like the Globe Trotters of the NBA against the Mavericks.

What are the "Stars"? A poker team or something?

Allen
Yeah, they looked pitiful!:eek::eek: But then they haven't figured out Golden State this year at all. Granted the last game they played, Dallas ran mostly subs at them, but the first 2 games were legitimate wins. They need to figure them out, just like the Stars finally go going, or it will end real quick.
I knew you'd like that Frank! :thumb::thumb: And thanks for making me feel better about my decision, Steve. It's solid.
I will still add in 2 more front legs eventually, creating a space on each end for drawers, or shelves w/o doors, for storage. But this will give me a proper place to leave stuff sitting around on.:rofl::rofl:
One day dow, 4 more to go...did I say I live for the weekends??? Jim.