Delta 46-460 Variable Speed Midi Lathe

Bart Leetch

Does anyone have one of these lathes can you give some input on what it really is able to do.
I'm getting convinced part of it is the cost & the fact I usually don't turn anything over 12" & the fact is my old Delta double duty lathe would do almost 11" but the lowest speed is 750 RPM which isn't much fun to start a bowl on. The current bowl started out as an 8" blank & was well rounded on the band-saw. The lathe & bench all 420 pounds of it shook real good at 750 RPM.

Another question does anyone have the bed extension & what does the lathe length measure over all. I'm hoping to use my current bench to mount the lathe to. I may not always need the length but it sure would be nice to have if needed.

Thanks.

I've read a lot of positive comments on that lathe. I know at least one Jet 12-20 owner who's said if the Delta was available when he bought the 12-20, he would have had a hard time deciding between the two. When I get a small lathe (one of these days), I'll be looking real hard at the Delta, Jet, and Rikon 12" midis.

Based on what I've found searching, it looks like the overall length of the 46-460 is 36", and the extension bed adds another 25 1/2" to that. So it looks like 59 1/2" total, if the specs on the Delta site are correct. How long is your bench?

as I answer in my best Frank Fusco voice "You need to look at the Grizz. Gxxxxx"....:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah, the 12" Grizzly G0658 has the backward banjo. :doh: The tool post should be on the headstock side of the banjo, not the tailstock. As it is now, it'd get in the way of larger turnings. It also has no bed extension available. Aside from those things, it looks pretty good on paper, although the Delta has an extra 1/4 hp.

So Paul did it look like this???

If so I already have one. Won it in a drawing as a prize at a BBQ / woodworkers / turners get together. But I need the lower speed & a bit more power & swing.

Attachments

• Turning 32.jpg
    Turning 32.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 22