Anvil Stand

Dan Mooney

When my Father-in-Law passed away in 1999 one of the things I inherited was his 80lb anvil. Being the professional procrastinator, I cobbled together this piece of art from 2x4's Promising to build a better one later.

Pic.001.jpg

I finally got off my duff when I came across some 1" plywood with black laminate on both sides.

Pic.002.jpg

I miter cut 4 identical sides, added biscuits glued it together (you can't see them in the pictures) but there are angle iron brackets inside at top and bottom corners to strengthen the miter joints.

Pic.003.jpg Pic.004.jpg Pic.005.jpg

At my age I don't want to being lifting anvils, I've been hanging on to these 4" casters for several years,

Pic.006.jpg

I cut the end off and drilled another mounting hole

Pic.007.jpg Pic.008.jpg

I mounted the wheels about ¼" above the base so that it sets flat on the floor but when you tilt it back the wheels lift it off the ground and it rolls free.

Pic.009.jpg

I very happy with the way it turned out.

Pic.010.jpg

Do you do blacksmithing?

I do metal work, but not Blacksmithing with a forge and hammer.

That's some interesting plywood. Sure ought to do the job. :thumb:

There is a place near our bus garage in Seatttle, I don't know if it's a cabinet shop or what (there is no sign) but every now and then they put out these wood pieces with a free sign, some are really nice, I just stop my bus, put on my four way flashers, open the baggage bin and load it up!

I made this cutting board from some scraps I found there.
DSC00450.jpg

A good anvil is one tool I'd love to have!

Does that anvil have a hardy hole? (A square hole for holding tools) or does it have a pritchel? (A round hole for punching through piece of metal) It sure has a nice look to it!

Cheers!

Very cool Dan, looks like a great old anvil. Would be interested to hear what you say to Stus questions. One heck of a creative idea with those wheels I might just steal that idea from you. Makes for a solid mobile base. ;)

Thanks for all the positive comments. The Anvil has both square and round holes. I don't have any idea how old it is, but it looks like it has seen use.

DSC00137.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
i have seen it too frank and they do it competitively.. its scary for a first timer for sure.. the key is to shoot it up and have it land as close as possible tot he starting point.. they get points for height and how close it lands