my apologies

Frank Fusco

When I first joined FW (and the previous forum) is grumbled mightily about the frequent use of acronyms and shop terms. Overuse made much of what was posted a foreign language to the uninitiated.
But, in recent months I have been considering taking up fly fishing as a possible substitute for my life-long shooting of traditional muzzle loading rifles.
To help prepare and learn, I joined a fly fishing forum. Acronyms? Strange terms? That is all they use. The forum provides zero helpfulness. :( It IS a foreign language. :eek:
I have acquired a low end rod and reel and a few accessories. Now, I have to decide if/how to buy some good waders and boots. Both expensive, as is everything in this game. Oh, well.

giving up muzzle loader, [what a bag of beans] I can not help with brand name for the waders but I would buy chest waders and also buy a walking stick for the use of stepping into a hole in the water

giving up muzzle loader, [what a bag of beans] I can not help with brand name for the waders but I would buy chest waders and also buy a walking stick for the use of stepping into a hole in the water

Giving up muzzle loading may be forced on me if my recent shoulder surgery does not produce the desired results.
Yes, I have walking sticks and make some. But how many hands does it take to fly fish?

you can fly fish with only one hand from a boat or the bank but wading take 4 hands sometime [at least for me ]

For what it's worth, I fly fish both one and two handed rods (AKA spay rods). Walking sticks are used to aid in either wad fishing or crossing in rivers. Personally I've never used one for precisely the concern you expressed, I've got enough gear to manage that another item isn't going to help things.

As far as waders go, depending upon the time of the year you fish, they may not be absolutely necessary. In my region (Pacific Northwest) during the months of June, July and August I seldom wear them. I would think in your part of the country you might be able to add May and September to the list. Boots, or at least felt bottomed shoes, are very helpful and probably a good safety item regardless the time of year.

Fly fishing is a wonderful thing and I highly encourage you to stick with it. Nothing beats catching a fish on a dry fly with a light weight rod. :thumb:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I fly fish both one and two handed rods (AKA spay rods). Walking sticks are used to aid in either wad fishing or crossing in rivers. Personally I've never used one for precisely the concern you expressed, I've got enough gear to manage that another item isn't going to help things.

As far as waders go, depending upon the time of the year you fish, they may not be absolutely necessary. In my region (Pacific Northwest) during the months of June, July and August I seldom wear them. I would think in your part of the country you might be able to add May and September to the list. Boots, or at least felt bottomed shoes, are very helpful and probably a good safety item regardless the time of year.

Fly fishing is a wonderful thing and I highly encourage you to stick with it. Nothing beats catching a fish on a dry fly with a light weight rod. :thumb:

Our major rivers near me are dam tailwaters and are always very cold. Waders are a must. I want to keep things simple so I can enjoy a couple hours now and then when time permits. So far fly fishing looks very complex and seems to be the focus rather than actually fishing. I may pursue it or just stick with lightweight spin casting. I joined the local club and will take my time to decide.

...So far fly fishing looks very complex and seems to be the focus rather than actually fishing. I may pursue it or just stick with lightweight spin casting. I joined the local club and will take my time to decide.

It can also be pretty simple if that's how you choose to do it. I did a fair amount of fly fishing as a kid and young adult with nothing fancier than an old split bamboo rod, a reel with no brake, and a few flies. Ponds and lakes were fished from the shore. The streams I fished were small enough you sometimes had to be careful not to get your line in the bushes on the other side. A lot of the casting was underhand, just to drop a fly into a promising hole. The only wading I did was to cross the stream. I wasn't catching any lunkers, but there were plenty 8-inchers to have some fun. But then again, I always enjoyed lightweight (or ultralight) spinning rigs, too, in the same kinds of waters.