Storage bucket stand

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Since its colder than the average north wind out in the shop today spent some time working through a few sketchup tutorials.

Once I got that done I decided to try and make something vaguely useful and designed a stand to hold 5 gallon buckets (we use them with the gamma seal lids for bulk dry goods storage) to help clean up the space where they're currently stacked a little. Only took about 4 hours - or about as long as it ought to take to build :rolleyes: I did manage to get it to print out a cutlist though after an hour of futzing with sizes, offsets and other cutlist settings.

bin_storage.png

Yes I actually drew it twice, figured it was decent practice and haven't gotten to the trick of exploding the diagram so I don't think it was a lot slower to just redraw (and this one has all of the mortise and tenon joints drawn in as well which added a bit of time anyway).
bin storage v2.jpg

I wonder what will be in those buckets...

:rofl:

These were the buckets displaced from the pre-existing stand in the garage to make room for more brewing grains there (or as Cindy said: "We HAD a place for these buckets you just took it over"). In this case: sugar, rice, beans, salt, more beans, oats, millet and wheat, umm.. yeah we have 9 of them that can't be all of it.. anyhooo.... :whistling:

Very cool! Every time I get a bit familiar with SketchUp something happens and several months pass before I pick it up again....total memory loss and start all over. Like groundhog day, without the getting better:rofl:

Very cool! Every time I get a bit familiar with SketchUp something happens and several months pass before I pick it up again....total memory loss and start all over. Like groundhog day, without the getting better:rofl:

Great looking design Ryan, and Ted I'm the same way. I bet I've learned SU 4 or 5 times from nearly scratch!:D

Good on you, Ryan.

Ted and John, you need to do what I've been preaching for years. Like anything else you want to learn, regular practice is a must. Just draw something at least every couple of days. Even if you don't keep it, it'll help you get the hang of things. Eventually it'll be like biking. Once you learn how to fall off, you'll never forget how. :D

Organizing is essential to ensure your place is free from clutters and you are able to free up some space in order to store even more items. Having a stand definitely makes it even easier to retrieve the things inside the storage buckets as compared to having them stacked individually together all the way up. The bottom most bucket gets really difficult to open up, but if they are all on an individual shelf each, retrieving any single one of them is not going to be of any problem.