bandsaw purchase questions

I don't have a bandsaw and I'm going to be getting one in the very near future. I'm looking at the 14 to 17 inch sizes. Can I do everything with a 17 that I can do with a 14? Is bigger better? I'd like to be able to do some resawing, bookmatching etc.

John, I'd like to upgrade my band saw, but money is an obstacle right now. If I were you, I'd take a close look at the Rikon 14" saw. It seems to have better resaw capacity than their 18" model.

17" will do anything a 14" will and more. I have a 14" and I am rebuilding a 30" because my 14" is to small.30" is probably overkill, but I am in in dirt cheap. And I am tired of running out of room too.

One thing to think about. A 14" with a riser will no longer be a 14", at least in my case. Mine is now about 12 1/2" of throat. At least that is the case with my Grizzly and I assume it's similar with all of them since they all cloned Delta.

As Jeff said, a typical 17" will do all that a smaller one will do. For things like resawing and bookmatching, I'd think horsepower is more important than the depth of cut you can make. Second in importance is rigidity of the frame. You want a good stiff frame for resawing. You can resaw on a typical 14" (6" or 12" capacity), but it's not as well suited for the task as one of the bigger saws,
...One thing to think about. A 14" with a riser will no longer be a 14", at least in my case. Mine is now about 12 1/2" of throat. At least that is the case with my Grizzly and I assume it's similar with all of them since they all cloned Delta.
A typical 14" bandsaw has about 6" cutting depth. The riser kit makes it about 12". It's still a 14" bandsaw, since that's the diameter of the wheels, not the throat or depth measurement.

Typical 14" cast iron frame bandsaw = 6" max cutting thickness

Typical 14" cast iron frame bandsaw with riser block = 12" max cutting thickness

Typical steel frame 17" to 18" saw = 12" max cutting thickness

14" Rikon steel frame bandsaw = 13" max cutting thickness, but with only 1 1/2 hp motor, it'd be working pretty hard compared to a bigger one

My 17" 2HP @ 220v saw does well resawing 10" oak but I would NOT want to go with any less power.

Last edited:
I am rebuilding a 20" and it appears to be a nice size, all I am waiting on now is a new blade. Of which I've not ordered yet. I'm thinking 3/4" for resaw maybe a 2 pt but is there that much difference on blade brands? Are Olson® All-Pro blades ok or should I stick with Suffolk or Wood-miser?

I have the Laguna 16HD which has around 16" of resaw cap and a 4.8 hp Baldor motor. I've been pleased with mine.

Oh yeah Chris? My MM-16 has 16" of resaw cap and a 4.8 hp imported Italian motor. I haven't used mine yet!:rolleyes: (Forgive me Sam but the DC installation isn't quite done yet.)

It's really a combination of several things......resaw capacity....horse power ......stiffness of the spine and wheel size. Some of the better resaw blade manufacturers recommend that their blades be used a 20" or larger wheels. Using them on smaller wheeled b/s will result in a shorter blade life. Another thing is the material used to make the wheels. ....Cast iron is heavier than aluminum. The increased mass should result in an easier life for the motor when cutting.

Part of John's original post was: "Can I do everything with a 17 that I can do with a 14? " I am wondering, and he may be also, can a 17 incher be used with a 1/8" blade (successfully) for cutting sharp curves as well as a smaller machine?

Frank,

I'm a real believer in having 2 band saws. I have a 14" set up with a 3/8" blade for the intricate stuff and my Laguna 16HD set up with a 1" Resaw King. The larger band saw will take a small blade so, if you can only have one then go big...

Nice little stealth gloat there Ken. I'll be waiting on your official report once you get things set up and running.:dunno:

Thanks for all the info guys. I've eyed the Laguna 16HD and it looks like a great saw. I just can't justify dropping 3 grand for a saw however. Not to mention the wife would kill me dead. If I was a pro maybe, but I'm not.

As of this moment I'm leaning toward a griz. 513X or a Rikon.

I couldn't be happier with my 1932 Crescent 20" saw. It's only got a hare less than 12" resaw capacity, but it's a very versatile size - big enough to handle whatever i've needed, yet small enough to get in and out of my basement shop.

I'm an advocate of buying used equipment. I can afford cadillac on my chevy budget.

I'm not saying not to buy new, but it may be worth looking around a bit to see if anything decent is locally available. Getting a good piece of old iron is often an accident of timing - good luck. If you run out of shopping time, you can always get a new one.

The Rikon looks like a very nice saw. If i were shopping new, i'd certainly be looking at that, as well as Steel City, Shop Fox, Grizzly, Bridgewood, General International, and maybe Jet.

Paul Hubbman

I don't have a bandsaw and I'm going to be getting one in the very near future. I'm looking at the 14 to 17 inch sizes. Can I do everything with a 17 that I can do with a 14? Is bigger better? I'd like to be able to do some resawing, bookmatching etc.

john,
bandsaws can be tuned down to run small blades and do scroll work but trying to resaw with an underpowered saw will really try your patience and possibly damage the saw.....
resawing is kinda like pulling a trailer uphill, it`s much easier to do it with a dually than a volkswagon;)

I have the Grizzly 17" 513. It is a great saw and have no problems resawing 12 block of qswo into 1/16" veneer. Just can not what to get in my new shop and get runnung on 220.

I like my Gilliom 19 inch bandsaw. Its kind of a goofy set-up, but for 350 bucks or so you can get quite the bandsaw considering it has two speeds and can cut wood or steel.

It maxes out at 9½" resaw capacity, and only tilts to the right side, but considering its hybrid...or backwards construction...depending upon how you look at it... it makes a great bandsaw for a woodworker looking for maximum size without a huge outlay of cold hard cash.

There is no website for the place, but the customer service is phenomenal. And its no newcomer to the woodworking world either...they have been making these type of tools since the 1960's...

Gilliom Manufacturing, Inc
PO Box 1018
St Charles, MO 63302-1018
636 724 1812

Here is a picture of it: The brown bandsaw...not the black one!

Clamp_Rack-453x335.jpg

Well have to say that I don't turn to the bandsaw all that often and find the Delta 14 all I need. It has the riser block and it will resaw and cut veneer without a problem. Heavy resawing probably not, never tried it. A good blade proper tension (don't go by the scale on the back) and proper adjustment doesn't leave me with the impression that it is not enough saw. Any trees and I call in the portable or take the 8' 6" lengths to the portable.

Travis, that is the best camouflaged bandsaw I have seen, I had to hunt for it. (I’m only on my second cup of java…:rolleyes:
The difference between my MM16 and my old 14” Delta is like night & day, the MM is so much more substantial. In my opinion, the MM does not do well with the ¼” & smaller blades. I have a small Rikon BS for curvy work.

Travis, that is the best camouflaged bandsaw I have seen, I had to hunt for it. (I’m only on my second cup of java…:rolleyes:

Yeah I have to paint it. Its a US Forest Service brown isn't it? A hideous color to say the least. I bought it for a mere 150 bucks and figured the motor was worth that much (1½ hp). To find out the bandsaw actually cuts, and cuts very well, was a real bonus.

John...
I have the Grizzly 0513X2 and can cast a favorable vote for that one, although I haven't had it all that long. Have used a 1/4" blade for curves and a 1/2" for general use...no problems with either. Also have a 3/4" that I'm going to give a go soon for resaw but can't comment on that yet.

If you're leaning toward the Rikon order it today (Mar 1) from Woodcraft and get 10% off. It's out of stock according to their website, available supposedly in a couple of weeks, but the sale price is good.

All the comments about resaw capacity and horsepower are right on in my view.

Cheers.