Cutlist type of software?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering if anybody uses any cutlist type of software.

Just downloaded the Cutlist Plus 2011 Demo edition. It kind of appeals to the OCD part of me.

Is there anything out there you'd recommend?

I just downloaded the program. Would have to learn it. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have a drawing program that would give you a cutlist once you drew what you wanted to build instead of having to input all the parts yourself?:dunno:

What got me thinking about it is that the "CutListandMaterials" plugin for sketchup outputs files in Cutlist Plus file format.

Just used CutList Plus to help me layout my cuts on the sheet goods for my shelves.

I have to say the size of shelves I picked was pretty good at using up a sheet. I can get 9 shelves at 16x32 out of one sheet.

Isn't that impossible? Wouldn't the shelves Have to be 15-7/8" x 31-7/8" to get 9 shelves out of a sheet? Are you using material that comes oversize like mdf does?

havnt used cutlist but i agree with steve that a program like sketchup that has the plug in for cutlist is the way to go design and then get part size intuitively. better chance for accuracy and should be faster and also if you change your design it would readjust for you. just some back seat driving here:D

Doesn't cutlist work with sketchup? Was thinking you put you design into it and out pops the cutlist?

I've been using Cutlist Plus (the least expensive version beyond the 'free' one) for a couple years, and I really like it. Just put in your dimensions and number of pieces of each part, and it'll display efficient - minimal waste - cutting diagrams. You can orient grain, allow for kerf widths, and specify your preferred way of cutting.

The newest version (just upgraded) will allow you to move parts around to creat your own cut diagram - handy for working around knots and defects.

And if you want, it'll print out labels for the parts, which helps minimize the confusion when you have dozens of parts awaiting final machining.

And yes, it does work with Sketchup.

Probably more than you wanted to know...:rolleyes:

I've been using Cutlist Plus (the least expensive version beyond the 'free' one) for a couple years, and I really like it. Just put in your dimensions and number of pieces of each part, and it'll display efficient - minimal waste - cutting diagrams. You can orient grain, allow for kerf widths, and specify your preferred way of cutting.

The newest version (just upgraded) will allow you to move parts around to creat your own cut diagram - handy for working around knots and defects.

And if you want, it'll print out labels for the parts, which helps minimize the confusion when you have dozens of parts awaiting final machining.

And yes, it does work with Sketchup.

Probably more than you wanted to know...:rolleyes:

Probably exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to know :thumb: