Perfect Omelet in 2 minutes

Don Baer

Staff member
In the microwave. My wife doesn't eat breakfast and usually I don't want to mess up a pan cooking on the stove top so I usually just have a bowl of cheerios but occasionally I like to have something different so I came up with this.

Omlet.jpg

whip 2 eggs (I add a touch of milk)
pour egg on a microwave safe plate in micro wave (covered)
zap on high for 1 1/2 minutes
add filling and fold over (I used some sliced ham and swiss cheese)
zap for 30 seconds
add toasted English muffin

enjoy

Interesting, microwave egg cooking appears to be the wave of the future.

My (great) uncle was recently explaining to me how he microwaves eggs cracked into a small bowl for a minute or so to make "soft boiled" eggs (don't try it with the shell on :D).

Those certainly look nice and fluffy.

Thanks, Don. I'll give it a try. I might also try the 'great uncle' technique for soft boiled eggs too. We were trying to find the little silicone boat our daughter gave us for making poached eggs the other day and have either lost it, or just imagined she gave us one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7jQEdxn3I The other thing I'm curious about is sous vide eggs...this looks so good...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUXwfxLzzU

The other thing I'm curious about is sous vide eggs...this looks so good...

I was lucky enough to have had those once and yes they were quite eggstraordinary! I believe it was on a rather fancy version of Huevos rancheros (of which I admit to being rather fond as well in even the more mundane versions).

The temperature control required is also rather impressive as the results vary somewhat substantially with less than 1C either way. However, with the advent of some of the easy to use lower cost sous vide devices coming on the market I do believe that they'll be eventually in my future here at some point.

Interesting, microwave egg cooking appears to be the wave of the future.

My (great) uncle was recently explaining to me how he microwaves eggs cracked into a small bowl for a minute or so to make "soft boiled" eggs (don't try it with the shell on :D).

Those certainly look nice and fluffy.

We used to do that for our kids, ages ago. We added a little butter and stirred it afterwards.

I may try this, but I usually make them on the stove in a non-stick frypan, and just wipe it afterwards.

As a true egg-lover who usually skips breakfast, I tried it this morning. Fantastic! An easy way to enjoy eggs....but I still have to watch the cholesterol.

Good on you, Fred. I wonder if the bad rap eggs get has more to do with with what we put in, on or with them when we eat them than the egg itself. :huh: :rolleyes: ;) Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to give it try also.

As a true egg-lover who usually skips breakfast, I tried it this morning. Fantastic! An easy way to enjoy eggs....but I still have to watch the cholesterol.

My daughter is a nutrition researcher, is very careful about what she puts in her stomach, and eats eggs regularly. Her advice is that if you eat cholesterol, it passes right through you. On the other hand, if you eat saturated fat, your body uses it to manufacture cholesterol, so you are watching the wrong thing.