Grizzly Customer Service G0656 Jointer

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Its not often I experience a company standing by their customer service marketing but I have to say today I experienced a surprize from Grizzly.
On a road trip in the summer I purchased and hauled all the way to Canada a G0656 jointer. Well it was sometime before I got to set it up and then became puzzled because I did not see the magnetic switch quoted both in their online info and in the catalog. I had also double checked while in the store (Muncy) with the sales gut that helped me. He unsure had gone to the back to check with the techs. All confirmed their was a magnetic switch. So I tested the concept by starting the machine and pulling out the plug then putting the plug back in while not touching the switch and sure enough the machine started up confirming my thoughts that there was no magnetic switch on this unit.
This had been a big issue of safety to me and so I promptly contacted Grizzly customer service. I explained my story and they asked me what remedy I wanted. Well I choose to have them send me a switch that I could retrofit.
Sure enough very promptly they posted me a new Magnetic switch and a piece of cable to be able to connect it up. All free of charge. Except the cash grab by Canadian customs. Total value in excess of 140$ excluding shipping.
I thought it was worth posting this here for two reasons.

1) To let people know Grizzly have a commitment to their products and services and stand by what they advertise. They will now correct the error in their site and catalog on the G0656.
2) To let people know who are intent on purchasing the G0656 that it does not have a Magnetic switch with thermal overload. Still a great machine but the switch makes it safer to use. You never know what happens with a brown out in winter.

So KUDUS to Grizzly from this Canuck.

:D:D:D I'm happy yer happy. :thumb:
To paraphrase Mr. Spock, "If I were to drop a hammer on a planet with a positive gravity I do not have to watch it to be sure it has dropped to the ground."

Highjack over

Rob - I'm pleased to hear about your experience. Such high levels of customer service are becoming much too rare.

Wait for it..................:peek:

That is typical of Grizzly service. They will take care of you. Glad it worked out.

....... Bingo! :rofl:

:D:D:D I'm happy yer happy. :thumb:

To paraphrase Mr. Spock, "If I were to drop a hammer on a planet with a positive gravity I do not have to watch it to be sure it has dropped to the ground."

Highjack over

Rob - I'm pleased to hear about your experience. Such high levels of customer service are becoming much too rare.

Okay, I get it now, Frank is a strong advocate of Grizzly.:D I was wondering where you were going with your first reply Rennie.

I bought a 6" Grizzly jointer in about 1987 (about 4 years after they first opened) when I was working on the east coast. It was not a great product then, but served my limited needs and budget. Imagine my surprise when I moved home and ended up in Bellingham where their corporate headquarters are now. I have observed that their product is now very good and their service is great. Although I buy only small stuff from them, if I am unhappy with a product, they cheerfully take it back. The people are great there.

Besides they are not too fussy who they let in their front door.

img148.jpg

Last edited:
Well I choose to have them send me a switch that I could retrofit.
Sure enough very promptly they posted me a new Magnetic switch and a piece of cable to be able to connect it up. All free of charge. Except the cash grab by Canadian customs.

I'm actually rather surprised by this. Not that they stood behind their product. No, I'm surprised that they were willing to send the part into Canada.
Grizzly is "famous" in Canada for refusing to deal with Canadians. The only way to get the product is to go over the border and buy it in the States. Given that, I'm shocked that they would send a part into Canada.

I'm actually rather surprised by this. Not that they stood behind their product. No, I'm surprised that they were willing to send the part into Canada.
Grizzly is "famous" in Canada for refusing to deal with Canadians. The only way to get the product is to go over the border and buy it in the States. Given that, I'm shocked that they would send a part into Canada.

Hi Art

They will ship to Canada but you have to approach them differently. They will do it as an International Order. There is a ways and means to everything.

Hi Art

They will ship to Canada but you have to approach them differently. They will do it as an International Order. There is a ways and means to everything.

Can't confirm, but I have heard that the brother to Grizzly owner, Shiraz Bilola, lives in Canada and operates a business similar to Griz under a different name. Maybe these tools are available there, just painted purple, or something. :dunno:

Glad to hear about that Rob. In my experience with Grizzly (although this is outstanding service for most companies now) this is "typical" for them. I received a casting with a blemish and got 3 emails and 2 phone calls while the replacement was on it's way to confirm that everything was going well.

I'm also pleased that all my experience with Grizzly customer service has been in finalizing a delivery of a new tool as in replacing a scratched part or some other damage. I have never had a "service" issue but I expect they are pretty good about that as well.

Okay, I get it now, Frank is a strong advocate of Grizzly.:D I was wondering where you were going with your first reply Rennie.

I bought a 6" Grizzly jointer in about 1987 (about 4 years after they first opened) when I was working on the east coast. It was not a great product then, but served my limited needs and budget. Imagine my surprise when I moved home and ended up in Bellingham where their corporate headquarters are now. I have observed that their product is now very good and their service is great. Although I buy only small stuff from them, if I am unhappy with a product, they cheerfully take it back. The people are great there.

Besides they are not too fussy who they let in their front door.

View attachment 25750

Yes Your right about that BILL!!!!!

Bill Bill are you having that same dream & is she blond this time.

Attachments

• Larry, Bill & Bart.JPG
    Larry, Bill & Bart.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 25
Can't confirm, but I have heard that the brother to Grizzly owner, Shiraz Bilola, lives in Canada and operates a business similar to Griz under a different name. Maybe these tools are available there, just painted purple, or something. :dunno:

Isn't that company "Busy Bee?"

Hi Guys, I think you are correct about both the connection and the name. Here is the catch.

There is no comparison between the quality and price of the Busy Bee Stuff sold here in Canada and that of Grizzly. We are getting RIPPED OFF totaly in Canada.
Case in point my jointer. USA price at the time when both dollars were on par or near enough. Busy Bee 1.5hp 8 inch same tables etc $1100 plus 13% which is our provincial and federal taxes.:huh:
Grizzly 3hp with mobile base and 4 cutterhead $695. Now go figure that one out.:dunno:
Then you need to be able to get up close and look at the quality. Sorry no more Busy Bee for me. Even if I had paid freight on this I would have got a better machine for the same amount.

So I protested and drove all the way to the USA. Spent a week out of country, paid the good old state sales taxes at Grizzly and brought back my jointer for $695 plus state sales taxes. No duties due to being out of country for week and allowance being $750 duty free for the week.;)

Did not cost a Canadian his job because neither machine is made in Canada or the USA. Did make it possible to take my son and educate him.:D

Thread hijack. Apologies.

Bill Satko said, in part....."Frank is a strong advocate of Grizzly."

Interesting observation. But, not really the case. My comments about Grizzly are, I hope, accurate reflections of my experience with the company and their products. Thus far about 99.14% favorable.
If either products or service were to go sour on me, I'd turn on them like a stepped on dawg.

Thread hijack. Apologies.

Bill Satko said, in part....."Frank is a strong advocate of Grizzly."

Interesting observation. But, not really the case. My comments about Grizzly are, I hope, accurate reflections of my experience with the company and their products. Thus far about 99.14% favorable.
If either products or service were to go sour on me, I'd turn on them like a stepped on dawg.

Frank, no need to defend your being an advocate of Grizzly, it is a great product. Myself, I want to hear your opinions on what tools or techniques work for you. That is the reason I participate in this forum. If it appeared that I was implying something negative about you expressing support for Grizzly then I apologize.

Maybe this is due to my use of the word advocate. An advocate I notice is defined as "someone to support or speak in favor of something". I see nothing negative there, as long as someone's advocacy is based on real experience. Then in my mind it has real value to me. I always assumed your's did.:thumb: