Lie Nielsen

Rolf Maxa

Anyone living in the Rochester NY area, or are willing to drive there will be a Lie Nielsen hand tool event. This will be a two day event July 10th & 11th. There also will be two interactive workshop stations. Please see attached flier.:wave::thumb:

Attachments

• Flier-Rochester, NY.pdf
    95 KB · Views: 22
Just came back from the Lie Nielsen show in Rochester, NY. What great tools, everything is first rate. We got to use all of the tools and see some demos from the staff. I picked up some good tips on sharping plan irons. I must have spend a good three hours at the show, and it was only 20 minutes from home. I'd like your opinion if anyone has Lie Nielsen tools.:wave:

I don't have any of their tools, but I don't recall seeing anything negative about them. They have a great reputation for top of the line products, and I'd sure like to see a show like you attended. :thumb:

Vaughn, I spoke with the rep from Lie Nielsen, and she said they stay away from the larger woodworking shows. They don't like competing with the power tool companies. They also want to give the woodworkers the opportunity to handle the tools and work with them on a one to one bases. They mostly do shows for local woodworking group. This one was don't for the Rochester Woodworking Society. I would check with your local group.

Vaughn, I spoke with the rep from Lie Nielsen, and she said they stay away from the larger woodworking shows. They don't like competing with the power tool companies. They also want to give the woodworkers the opportunity to handle the tools and work with them on a one to one bases. They mostly do shows for local woodworking group. This one was don't for the Rochester Woodworking Society. I would check with your local group.

I have been a big financial contributer to Lie Nielsen, but lately I feel abandoned and unloved by them. Due to their decision to no longer participate in The Woodworking Shows which had shows in Seattle and Portland, I have very little opportunity to put my hands on their tools and talk directly with them.

thewwslogo.gif

Lie-Nielsen Toolworks will not be present at any upcoming Wooodworking Show events in 2009. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and encourage you to visit one of our own Hand Tool Events taking place across the country and in Canada (see above).

To add insult to injury, they bypassed a Canadian woodworking show that was in Vancouver (just across the border from me) earlier this year. And those Hand Tool Events they talk about on their website? Not in the Northwest! Oh, eventually they will schedule one in Portland...someday.

Oh Tom, I have been faithful to you. OK, maybe I did run up to Lee Valley and get their Plow Plane and Skew Rabbet Plane, but you did not have any and they do make a good product. And yes, I am thinking of getting their low angle smoother, but it is because it is so much beefier than yours and I tried out the one Jim Tolpin had. But Tom, they were such small transgressions; not justifiable for your treatment of me and everyone on the West Coast. Think of people like Vaughn, they should not have to suffer because of me.

Just came back from the Lie Nielsen show in Rochester, NY. What great tools, everything is first rate. We got to use all of the tools and see some demos from the staff. I picked up some good tips on sharping plan irons. I must have spend a good three hours at the show, and it was only 20 minutes from home. I'd like your opinion if anyone has Lie Nielsen tools.:wave:

I was given a nº 4 1/2 smoothing and a medium shoulder plane, the smoother works well but it is too heavy for me. The medium shoulder plane is really pain to use it. I still don't know how to grab it in a comfortable way, if any of you could give me some hint I might change my mind about it.

On the other hand I find the A2 steel blades really hard to sharpen, could anyone suggest me a suitable stone brand?

I use Shapton stones and to put an edge on those takes a lot of time and wears down the stones a lot.

Toni, have you ever tried the scary sharp method to sharpen your tools. I use it and am very happy with the results.

Thanks Don, No I've never tried it although I know how it is done. Does it work well with A2 steel? I can put a razor edge on all of my tools, it is only that with A2 steel blades takes me twice as much time or more than with High carbon ones.

Toni, I think the A2 steel will take longer regardless of the sharpening method you use. I know it took me quite a while to get the first edge on a new Hock A2 plane iron on my Tormek.

I suspect that the scary sharp method would be no faster than your Shapton stones. I believe the only advantage would be the ability easily go to a coarser grit for the initial beveling of the edge.

Toni, I think the A2 steel will take longer regardless of the sharpening method you use. I know it took me quite a while to get the first edge on a new Hock A2 plane iron on my Tormek.

I suspect that the scary sharp method would be no faster than your Shapton stones. I believe the only advantage would be the ability easily go to a coarser grit for the initial beveling of the edge.

That is what I thought, LN recommends both Shapton and Norton stones plus diamond ones to sharpen their blades so I think this is a no-no issue.

It is my feeling that the hardness that makes A2 blades hold their edge longer makes them harder to sharpen as well.
To minimize the time needed to hone them the only solution I see is to hone them more often so that the amount of material to remove is less, hence less sharpening time.

...It is my feeling that the hardness that makes A2 blades hold their edge longer makes them harder to sharpen as well...

As I understand things, that is exactly correct. ;) I believe you're also correct in thinking that keeping them sharp will result in less overall sharpening time.