Interlocking cutting grid

Bart Leetch

I want to make a cutting grid of interlocking plywood strips to set on top of my bench & table-saw to use with my guided saw system to cut laminate. I'm not sure how big to make the interlocking squares. I was thinking 1' squares. This will be a 8'x4' knock down grid for when not in use.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Bart,
I would think it depends on the thickness of the material you will be using. The thinner the material the closer they need to be to give you the rigidity you need. Unlike a torsion box this will lack the support of the top, bottom and the sides.

What Don said...

What about making the original setup with a 6" grid, with longitudinal (8 foot) identical parts, and lateral (4 foot) identical parts? That way, if cutting thick stuff that doesn't need a lot of support, you could just assemble a 12 or 18 inch grid, and for thin stuff like formica, or 1/8" ply, you could assemble all the parts into a 6" grid.

FWIW, I use the Eurekazone (EZ system) table. 2' X 4' closed, and open to 4' X 7' when open. Lay it across sawhorses, and it's ready to go in seconds, but stores easily, too.

What Don said...
FWIW, I use the Eurekazone (EZ system) table. 2' X 4' closed, and open to 4' X 7' when open. Lay it across sawhorses, and it's ready to go in seconds, but stores easily, too.

Jim I have this system with fold-able saw horses to which I screwed risers but I have to use it outside because of shop space & wind & rain don't mix to well with laminate & cutting.

Attachments

• EZ table.jpg
    EZ table.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29