Shaker doors

Angle for the styles and rails or the panels? The style and rail bit set I used for my kitchen are 15 degree angle and I opted for flat panels instead of raised:)

I'm sure it's whatever is most pleasing to your own eye but all the antique Shaker stuff that I own the panels are flat. I don't know if that is indicitive of all Shaker furniture though.
Maybe Ken will chime in. He is pretty much the Shaker expert around here.

I dunno, I don't think they used router bits at all.

Some of the doors had slightly curved raised panels, gently shaped with a plane no doubt. Others varied quite a bit. I think if you do it as if you had a thousand years to live, and might die tomorrow, you'll get it right. ;)

This one in the middle is from Hancock Shaker Village, MA.

The other two are from Pleasant Hill, Kentucky

Bob do you really own some real Shaker pieces?

Attachments

• door2 small.jpg
    door2 small.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Hancock door small.jpg
    Hancock door small.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 44
  • door1 small.jpg
    door1 small.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 45
You bet Ken. A Tall clock, 5 or 6 chairs, and several cabinets, tables & dry sinks.
Everything appraised and authenticated. All are from the late 1700's to early 1800's. Some colonial peices date back to the early to mid 1700's. Larry was amazed at the tall clock and cobblers bench when he was here.

My mother was an avid shaker and early American collector. Her home was featured in Better Homes and Gardens a couple of times. She also made her own braided rugs.

When she passed I got quite a bit of her furniture. I'll dig up some pictures if you like. Or better yet, stop by and see them whenever you are in the area :thumb:

Here are a few. I hate taking and posting pictures so the bureaus and beds up stairs will have to wait.

The tall clock was too tall for my living room so I had to cut a hole in the ceiling between the joists to fit the bonnet in;)

The table is pretty cool. Although season changes over the last 250 years or so have split the top in several places it's pretty interesting to see a 34" wide piece of solid maple.:eek:

The ladder back chair and womens rocker are a few of my favorites.

I assume some of the pieces were refinished many years ago. Probably at least 60 years.

I used to play with my match box cars on the cobblers bench when I was a kid. It was about the only piece of furniture I could touch. Mt Mom kept the living and dining room pretty much like a museum. No fun for a kid. I was only allowed in those 2 rooms for Christmas and Thanksgiving:(
100_3970 (600 x 400) chair.jpg

100_3971 (600 x 400) dry sink.jpg

100_3972 (600 x 400)chair2.jpg

100_3973 (600 x 400)rocker.jpg

100_3974 (600 x 400)chair and table.jpg

100_3975 (600 x 400) womens rocker.jpg

100_3977 (600 x 400) wood rocker.jpg

100_3978 (600 x 400) shaker seat.jpg

100_3979 (600 x 400)shaker table.jpg

100_3980 (400 x 600)tall clock.jpg