Signed, Dusty in Idaho

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I have an Oneida DC with an internal filter. I don't think they offer these any more, and I know why. If they clog, they are a bear to clean. In fact, just normal maintenance is a big job as removing the filter for cleaning requires removing the cone. It comes off easy..:rofl:
DSC_0056.jpg

Some time back I had the bright idea that if I put a nice heavy plastic bag in the drum then the chore of emptying it might not be so bad. Well, in theory that sounds good, but in practice the bag pulls away from the sides of the drum, constricts the dropping dust, and causes everything to back up inside the cone and eventually packing in around the filter. You can see in the picture where the filter is located and how hard it is to clean around it.
DSC_0053.jpgDSC_0054.jpg

It was easier to get rid of the dust - not having to dump the drum - but if I forgot to constantly check the dust level, open the drum and push things down to expand the bag, I'd have an even bigger mess.

So, time to scrounge the misc part pile. A piece of left over lexan, a few odd screws and nuts, a little caulk, and now I have a window on the world of dust. This will be easier to check and no more constricted flow. I placed the window so its top is about the 3/4 mark. Now I know if I don't see open space in the window it's time to dump. It' won't be pleasant, but it will be easier than unpacking the filter.:rofl:
DSC_0057.jpgDSC_0058.jpgDSC_0059.jpgDSC_0061.jpg

Good idea Rennie.

So far I'm getting away with shop vacuums ( got three of them) but making a proper cyclone and setting up a dust extraction system is on my "to do" things sooner than later. I only need to get the proper power at home 220V three phase current.

Good luck with things! I had some ideas, but I don't think any of them would work.

My first thought was to put some tension rings at a few places to hold the bag open, but you may as well just have a naked drum at that point.

Could you build an internal cage out of plastic or something that is slightly smaller than the barrel but that still keeps the bag open? This would likely be more time than worth, especially since you'd need to build the cage very very carefully to avoid the possibility of bag failure while pulling it out of the drum.

Now that you have the lexan there, I wonder if there's any way to install a valve and apply a vacuum to get the bag to "stick" to the side walls of the drum?

At any rate, best of luck with everything!

Rennie, one thing i had seen somewhere and i think it is on the Oneida site but can be made up pretty easy if you have a welder, is a frame of heavy wire that goes inside the bag when you put it in the bin.

It keeps the plastic bag against the bin and when it comes time to empty you lift out the wire frame ( round as the bin in size and length but a little loose to make removal possible). Maybe something like that would help with the bag.

Oh Larry if I did that can you imagine the NN. I have already had the Ministry of Environment over at my place looking for a baghouse.:eek:

You obviously do not live 40' from your neighbor. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had tried everything I could think of to vent outside but the dust would either end up at my entryway or in the neighbor's Koi pond. I didn't want to start that NN war some folks have :rolleyes:.

I was unaware of that cyclone design. Thanks for the post and the great idea on the bin Rennie.

Rennie, one thing i had seen somewhere and i think it is on the Oneida site but can be made up pretty easy if you have a welder, is a frame of heavy wire that goes inside the bag when you put it in the bin.

It keeps the plastic bag against the bin and when it comes time to empty you lift out the wire frame ( round as the bin in size and length but a little loose to make removal possible). Maybe something like that would help with the bag.

Oh Larry if I did that can you imagine the NN. I have already had the Ministry of Environment over at my place looking for a baghouse.:eek:

Why couldn't you use that piece of laminate to go inside the bag to hold it against the outside? When you need to empty the bag, just put the laminate out first.

Why couldn't you use that piece of laminate to go inside the bag to hold it against the outside? When you need to empty the bag, just put the laminate out first.
Hmmm. I think you're on to something (you and Rob). A simple length of wire fencing. It naturally wants to straighten out. Just give it a little roll, set it in the bag, and let it go. Hmmmm:huh:

I tried the wire fencing idea, but it ripped the bag every time I tried to pull it out making a big mess. I found a roll up leaf bag holder a the borg, the plastic type that's just a flat piece of plastic you roll into a cylinder. Had to cut it down a bit to fit into my drum, but it slides right out when it's time to empty the barrel.

http://www.amazon.com/Lawson-40500-Plastic-Bag-Holder/dp/B0000BYCMO

Mike
Bingo!:thumb:

That's the ticket! Amazing the wealth of experience available here. I'm going to the Borg for some other items later today. If they have one I'll pick it up. If not, Amazon!:thumb:

Thanks Mike!