Can I call this a bowl?

Roger Tulk

It started out to be a natural edge bowl, but the bark and a fair amount of sapwood got torn away, but finally I got an outside I could live with, turned it around and holowed it out without breaking anything. It has a bit of an ogee at the bottom, because I had a couple of real nasty catches to work round, but I am actually happy with this first result.

I used only my bowl gouge, and radius scraper, I think. Oh, and the parting tool. You should have seen me cutting off the top of the bowl and losing the natural edge. I had to resharpen the parting tool. This is maple, with a little spalting. I have no idea wwhere it came from.

Bowl12.jpg Bowl11.jpg

I dunno Roger, but it sure looks like a bowl to me :thumb:

The natural edge stuff requires a certain degree of.. finesse.. that will come with time (at least that's what they tell me, still hoping over here :D)

It's a bowl!

Roger,

It is a bowl. It has that first of many look to it too. Compared to many a first bowl it is a very nice bowl.

Best thing to do about tools is to select a brand you like so all the handles stay the same or get the interchangeable handles. Then if you never put them all on display at once the "She" in your life can never be sure just how many you have. A friend bought black stocked stainless barreled and actioned rifles for just that reason. Stick it in the gun safe for a few months and then the same thing as when she slides the new dress out of the back of the closet, "This old thing? I have had it for ages!"

Hu

Most definitely it is a bowl. You have given birth to a new born bowl. This bowl is destined to hold M&M's I am sure. Of course ice cream will work quite well from all stand points. Good looking bowl! The natural edge bowls will come to you in time. Patience, grasshopper.