Advice sought re: LV Mk II power sharpening system

John Kairys

I have been using "scary-sharp", and have been generally satisfied with the results. I use the LV Mk II sharpening jig/fixture as well as free hand. However, I'm looking to speed up the process. I've also found that long sessions can aggravate carpal tunnel issues.

I've used water stones in the past, but my current workspace doesn't have easy access to a water supply or drainage. The water issue keeps me from considering using stones or the Tormek/Jet offerings.

I'm curious if anyone here has used the LV Mk II power sharpening system or has any thoughts about it. I do realize the increased cost of consumables, but for the volume of work that I do it's not a problem. Ease of use and speed are the key issues. The review in the FWW 2007 Tools edition is very positive. Any first-hand insights or advice will be appreciated.

I've had mine for over a year now.
Makes quick work of sharpening planes irons, chisels, and my pocket knife [free hand sharpening]

I couldn't quite hack that elcheapo inline on/off switch with a 3' cord, so I mounted a rockler router switch on the side of the unit with a long cord.
Very happy with mine. I'm still using the original 4 grits that came with the unit.

Hi John,

Motorized Scary Sharp. Other than being motorized, it is similar to what you do now which I think would be a plus as far as change in a sharpening routine goes.

There are two commercial "names" in so far as these machines go. The other is LapSharp. I had both these machines in-house for an article I was writing and both are similar, both get the job done. Of the two, and costing a lot more, the LapSharp is clearly the better machine. It is extremely well made. It also turns at a lower rpm which is actually a positive thing. One can use water with it.

That probably sounds negative concerning the LV unit--But I don't intend it to be. The LV MK.II Power Sharpener is a good machine at an affordable price. The LS has both a higher initial cost and the jigs are fairly costly as well. From a cost/performance standpoint, the LV unit is above the LS.

You can get better discs in a wider range of grits from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. Email him for recommendations. I also think you'll find that after the initial purchase of the discs and getting use to applying them, removing them, etc, the consumable portion of the cost isn't that high.

Oh, get an extra platter or two from LV as well. You would do well to have one or two extra of the thick ones and one more of the thin ones. Depending on the grit jumps you intend on. That way you can avoid having to remove discs prematurely in order to swap discs.

If you go for the LV unit, consider installing a foot operated power switch. Having both hands available when using the machine is a plus. I believe LV also has some good options there.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for all the info, guys. Just a few more questions. Is it worth the extra discs/steps of working through the grits, or are the basic choices (that come with machine) adequate? How long does it take at each grit? Finally, with regard to using honing compound, is it worth getting the LV felt wheel or is it better to use a 3mm disc and apply a piece of cloth as some have suggested?

I'm pretty convinced to simply order one and give it a try. I just want to fine tune my order.

Thanks!

Hi John,

I guess it always comes down to how refined we each consider good enough. For instance, I would probably always finish by hand anyway, as well while working I would always choose to renew an edge by hand. Just faster at that point.

Skipping grits in big jumps means longer on each finer disc. 320 to 1200 is a large jump. Also, it requires one to remove and swap the discs. So I still recommend getting the extra platters. The thin 3 mm is only useful for the finiest grit, so an extra thick 4 mm platter should be purchased for any other grits you get.

The reason is each disc will last longer if it is mounted on its own platter..

Take care, Mike

I'm happy with the four discs that came with mine.
I did get an extra set along with the machine

I've had my LV MK for a little over two years, I believe. Very happy with it for all my flat tools. Quick, nearly brainless, repeatable, discs last a long time. I have played with the LS at a friends shop and was very impressed, as well. For my turning tools -- it's the Wolverine system and my grinder. I care more about speed and getting back to work than I do about how pretty an edge I get. I think both of my systems reflect this. They do a great job, but there are definitely superior systems out there for sharpening afficienados (sp?).

For my turning tools -- it's the Wolverine system and my grinder. I care more about speed and getting back to work than I do about how pretty an edge I get. I think both of my systems reflect this. They do a great job, but there are definitely superior systems out there for sharpening afficienados (sp?).

So Sam,
Lets see some of your turnings...;)

I have the LV mark 11. It is good and easy to get very good results.On finer tools I use Shapton stones for the backs. A good machine... I still like to use shapton stones for chisel backs and plane irons. It is too easy to ruin them using the Mark II. So I feel it is a quick way to get a good edge on most tools.

Last edited: