thompkins turned bowls at forever florida nature park

I saw these at a place called forever florida. it is a park on a private nature preserve. They have bowls on display and for sale. All made by a man named Donald Thompkins. I thought they were so nice I took pictures of them to share will all of you.

I have almost bought a used lathe a few times and never got around to making the purchase. Now I am going to get one without a doubt. To bad I don't really have any room for it but I will get one in my small shop some how.

I thought these natural looking bowls were exquisite. They look much better in person than in my very poor pictures.

Hope you enjoy looking at them also. Sorry I'm not much of a photographer

Attachments

• IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 35
What is the thick shinny stuff on the bark --- ??

I'm guessing poly. :rolleyes:

Keith, kudos to this guy for getting his work out there and for sale, and good on him for inspiring you to get into turning, but there are nicer natural edged turnings out there, in my opinion. Mr. Thompkins' forms and finish could both be improved. But like I said, that's just my opinion. If people are buying his pieces, then who am I to argue? ;)

I'm guessing poly. :rolleyes:

Keith, kudos to this guy for getting his work out there and for sale, and good on him for inspiring you to get into turning, but there are nicer natural edged turnings out there, in my opinion. Mr. Thompkins' forms and finish could both be improved. But like I said, that's just my opinion. If people are buying his pieces, then who am I to argue? ;)

I just had never seen anything like them. maybe I didn't look hard enough. But remember, they looked much nicer in the real. My camera phone does not do many things justice. I also understand that a lot of wood workers are put off by poly. Me, not so much.

As to selling them. I have no idea if any are moving. they were all in the $80to $120 range. But its art so the price is the price. Some must sell or they wouldn't bother putting them there.

They are finished well. Shiney around here sells, satin/semi gloss not so much. His forms are not to my liking but that is just me. Like Vaughn said if they are selling that is what counts.

They are finished well. Shiney around here sells, satin/semi gloss not so much. His forms are not to my liking but that is just me. Like Vaughn said if they are selling that is what counts.

Bernie, I respectfully disagree about being finished well. ;) I don't have a problem with them being shiny, but if you look in the bottoms you can see orange peel surfaces and overall unevenness. More attention to sanding and buffing would improve the finish, I'd think.

Bernie, I respectfully disagree about being finished well. ;) I don't have a problem with them being shiny, but if you look in the bottoms you can see orange peel surfaces and overall unevenness. More attention to sanding and buffing would improve the finish, I'd think.

I'm not sure what your seeing in the picture is actually there. My pictures really stink. When I was handling them the finish looked very nice. when I looked at my pictures I was a little ashamed of them and almost didn't post it because I thought it might make Thompkins work look bad.

Just speaking up for the guy since I displayed his work with out permission. :wave: