Router inlay question

Bob Gibson

I recently picked up this router inlay kit from MLCS on sale. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/router_inlay.html

One of the patterns I'm going to use is a large heart on a table top.
The inlay bit is only 1/8" in diameter. It would take forever to plough out the recess with such a small diameter bit.
Is there any reason I couldn't use something like a hinge mortising bit set at the correct depth to clean out the recess after I cut the outline with the 1/8" bit ?? Obviously I would have to be careful not to nick the edge of the pattern.

I've never tried router inlay before. Videos I've watched make it look super easy but in my practicing the bit cuts super slow and tends to burn the wood.
Maybe I've already ruined the bit :dunno:

Some thoughts:

• Yes you can use larger diameter router bits.
  • I would first run the perimeter with the 1/8" bit to establish the finish shape. Actually with larger bushings you could sneak up on the final shape taking much less than a full diameter cut.
  • Then use an even larger diameter bushing guides with larger router bits to keep the bit away from the finished edge & to rout more material at a time.
  • Also, I think there will be a tendency to tip the router on the "narrow edged" pattern so I would dbl-tape the pattern in its final position on the table & then surround this pattern with wood of equal thickness. This, along with the larger guide bushing would allow you to glide over the entire area (only 5"x 6") without fear of tipping into the wood below finish depth.
  • A light depth of cut would also leave a better finish with less material to sand.
  • If you would like to borrow some router guide bushings, I actually have recently received a full set and you are most welcome to use whatever you want.

Please let me know.

Thanks Al :thumb:

I actually woke up at 4am and my first thought was " what a stupid, stupid, question" :doh:

Sometimes when I commit to doing something I've never done before I tend to question myself and over think things and that leads to dumbass questions.
Pics later but it worked just fine. To rout out the recess I just used my hinge mortising bit after I used the 1/8" bit around the perimeter of the template and then routed a small opening in the middle of the recess so I could set the depth of the mortising bit.

Piece of cake :eek::D

i knew you could do it,, i think i would have hogged out the most of it first with the larger bit then did the close work with your small bit less chance for burning becasue the wood can get away i would use the template guide bushing like al said.. glad it came out ok bob:) looking forward to seeing the pics:)

Cheesch Bob, this is the first time I've been able to offer a suggestion & it turns out you already knew the answer. :rofl: Now I gotta go back into newbie status! :( Frankly, i was puzzled why you, of all people, would ask that since I knew you knew. Glad you overcame your memory loss. :thumb: :rofl: