My First Home Made Tool

Pete Jordan

At the Trent Bosch demo he used a gun drill on his hollow forms. This is what I made today. A guy at our club sells the gun drill bits for $15 and I bought the blue valve at HF for a dollar. It works like a charm.

Attachments

• GD3.jpg
    GD3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 95
  • GD1.jpg
    GD1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Gun-Drill.jpg
    Gun-Drill.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 73
VERY cool Pete, but let me get this right, the tool is a bit for hollowing out Hollow forms, and it has an air hose attached to it, to blast out the curlies :huh: :dunno:

Sounds like a plan! :D

Very nice tool for drilling deep holes. Instead of withdrawing the bit to clear up the chips frequently; the air is going to blow the chips out. I think the air may cool the tip as well.

VERY cool Pete, but let me get this right, the tool is a bit for hollowing out Hollow forms, and it has an air hose attached to it, to blast out the curlies :huh: :dunno:

Sounds like a plan! :D

Yep. Nebber heard of it used for hollowing on a lathe. But air drills with spoon shaped cutting bits are used by gun builders for ramrod holes, flute makers and bag pipe makers for those flute holes. They drill straight and cool.

Pete,
I'm confused (which isn't hard) is this supposed to be a bowl gouge? what are the holes for in the top? I never heard of a "gun drill" what is the purpose for the air nozzle in the bottom?

Chuck

Yep. Nebber heard of it used for hollowing on a lathe. But air drills with spoon shaped cutting bits are used by gun builders for ramrod holes, flute makers and bag pipe makers for those flute holes. They drill straight and cool.

Frank, Don't forget cue makers. They use them to core out forearms of heavy woods like ebony or unstable woods like tulipwood. The ones they use are a bit thicker - - in the neighborhood of 5/8ths.
Alan