goblet ?

After looking at garys goblet i desided to make one. well it turned out all right, but not really sure how tall the stem is to be or how thin. the one i made is 7 1/4 tall with the stem being 4". the stem is 9/16 thick which i thought was thin enough till i took a pic.:( the cup is 1/8 thick which i think is all right, but not sure.:dunno:. should i make it thinner or what? just looking for some advise so the next one will be better. thanks
Steve

Looks good to me, too. :thumb: I'll second Andy's suggestion for some curve on the stem next time, but the straight stem looks good too. As far as thinness, I can't tell how thick the walls are, but to me the stem looks fine. It has a substantial look to it, as if it's intended to be used instead of just admired. Personally, I'm not a big fan of goblets with "how thin can you go?" stems. I recognize that they're a challenge to make, but but they don't do anything for me aesthetically.

looks great from here...:thumb:
thanks
Looks good to me maybe just a little shape to the stem. Id be prooud to claim it!!
thanks and maybe i'l try putting just a little curve in the next one

Looks good to me, too. :thumb: I'll second Andy's suggestion for some curve on the stem next time, but the straight stem looks good too. As far as thinness, I can't tell how thick the walls are, but to me the stem looks fine. It has a substantial look to it, as if it's intended to be used instead of just admired. Personally, I'm not a big fan of goblets with "how thin can you go?" stems. I recognize that they're a challenge to make, but but they don't do anything for me aesthetically.

Thanks the wall thickness is a even 1/8. i thought that was fine, but the stem being 9/16? your right as i've looked at a lot of them online and i don't like the really thin long stems ether. the problem is no one seems to have a standard for making these.there all over the world.Was just looking for some kind of standard.

Stephen,
The straight stem makes it easier to grasp... I make a lot of mine with the straight stems,
I also add a little shape sometimes too.... most glass goblets are around 7-7 1/2 tall, and the stems can vary from 3/8 to 5/8 or more... so I would say you have a good handle on goblet making..

Stephen,
The straight stem makes it easier to grasp... I make a lot of mine with the straight stems,
I also add a little shape sometimes too.... most glass goblets are around 7-7 1/2 tall, and the stems can vary from 3/8 to 5/8 or more... so I would say you have a good handle on goblet making..

thanks Chuck wasn't sure as like i said after looking online there all over the place.

It's chunky but in proportion so it works well. Ideal for a usable one. Make sure that you coat the inside in particular with something like melamine or loads of plastikote (do you get those finishes over in the colonies) as it will stain badly otherwise with red wine.

Of course you realise that you now need to make a set of them, a minimum of two and the second is the hardest :rofl:

Pete

....Thanks the wall thickness is a even 1/8. i thought that was fine, but the stem being 9/16? your right as i've looked at a lot of them online and i don't like the really thin long stems ether. the problem is no one seems to have a standard for making these.there all over the world.Was just looking for some kind of standard.

Look fine, as said a little more curve/detail to the stems perhaps. Personally I think 1/8" is a little thick, although if thinned towards the rim then would appear lighter to the eye.

As far as shape and proportions, I find if you study some of the standard and classic Glass items they can provide a good guide.
When I first tackled one I went to the glass cabinet and selected my favourite wine glass and scanned it into the computer and printed out onto stiff card and cut out outline to form a template.

thanks guys. as far as the goblet goes it was just pratice. i haven't drank any adalt drinks in 20 years so i'm sure i woun't be staning this one.:rofl:As far as making enother i might just go on out to the shop tonight and give it a shot. the wife just left with the boys to go see three days grace so woun't be home till a round 2 in the am.:D

thanks guys. as far as the goblet goes it was just pratice. i haven't drank any adalt drinks in 20 years so i'm sure i woun't be staning this one.:rofl:As far as making enother i might just go on out to the shop tonight and give it a shot. the wife just left with the boys to go see three days grace so woun't be home till a round 2 in the am.:D

cat goes away and the mice are gonna play:)

i don't like the really thin long stems ether. .

So you won't be making anything like this then :rofl:

This one is 12" tall, the bowl is 2mm thick and the stem is 5mm More to the point it has actually been used. Depends on the wood you use how stable it is, this is olive.

Google goblet, chalice in Google images and see the different shapes. There aren't actually that many as far as a standard is concerned, a few basic rules based on thirds for proportion but that is about it.

Pete

So you won't be making anything like this then :rofl:

This one is 12" tall, the bowl is 2mm thick and the stem is 5mm More to the point it has actually been used. Depends on the wood you use how stable it is, this is olive.

Google goblet, chalice in Google images and see the different shapes. There aren't actually that many as far as a standard is concerned, a few basic rules based on thirds for proportion but that is about it.

Pete
Pete your site is the main one i looked at when i thought about turning a goblet.:D As far as the one you just showed, no i don't think so,but you never no.:p:rofl: