As a Youngin

Leo Voisine

I remember penny candy - and when you could get two candies for a penny

5 cent and 10 cent bag of chips.

Radio Flyer wagon

KEDS - green soles - you could run faster.

Puff the majic dragon

In the summertime was on the dadio

NOBODY - had A/C

Dope - was highly addictive and nobody "really" knew what it was.

We walked to school

Quarters did NOT have copper in the middle

Wooden floors in the market.

Leo it sounds like your right at my age as i remember all of the above.Growing up in PA that walk to school got mighty cold in the winter time.You might not believe this but the first school i went to had 1 teacher,15 kids, out house and that was 1st through 8th grade.
Buy the way i'll be 51 tomarrow and been married 32 years.So yea i remember them well.
Steve

Tommy Harris and I would take our 25 cents lunch money and walk up to Mrs Kisdukack's little corner store and with that quarter get a 16 oz. bottle of Double cola (like 11 year old kids needed that much sugar and caffeine:D), a package of Hostess cupcakes, and a Snickers bar and Still got a penny back!!!

Hmmmmm, Wonder what ever happened to little Tommy Harris????:D Great kid, taught me how to swear:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Geez, Leo,

Right now, there are people up in space doing shop work on a telescope. With wrenches and screwdrivers! But I'm so old, I was born *before* Sputnik! In other words, when I was born, no human had ever launched an object into orbit! I'm old, I tell you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

A dime? crackerjack cost a nickle! And I can remember going to the airport to see my grandmother take off for seattle. On a propeller plane!

Geez, I should just be a grumpy old cuss! Oh, wait... :rofl::rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

But I'm so old, I was born *before* Sputnik! In other words, when I was born, no human had ever launched an object into orbit! I'm old, I tell you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

A dime? crackerjack cost a nickle! And I can remember going to the airport to see my grandmother take off for seattle. On a propeller plane!

Geez, I should just be a grumpy old cuss! Oh, wait... :rofl::rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

I'm with you there Bill. Dad took me up to a small park one night to see Sputnik go over. I think there must have been 100 or so people there! Good thread Leo..... Maybe Vaughn will have to change FW to GOFF.... Grumpy Old Fart's Forum!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leo it sounds like your right at my age as i remember all of the above.Growing up in PA that walk to school got mighty cold in the winter time.You might not believe this but the first school i went to had 1 teacher,15 kids, out house and that was 1st through 8th grade.
Buy the way i'll be 51 tomarrow and been married 32 years.So yea i remember them well.
Steve

Steve,
By the time you were born, I was almost through high school. Would have been the next year if my birthday had fallen earlier in the year. It's mid Sept and the school wouldn't let me start until I was actually 6, so had to wait another year.
I was in second or third grade when we got our first car, a Modle A coupe with a rumble seat(for a family of 5.. 3 kids under the age of 12), before that we traveled by wagon pulled by mules..
When I was in fifth grade, at two different schools, we had three classes in one room.. I had 3 students in both schools in the fifth grade.
In order to field a baseball team at the second school, we had 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th graders on the team, including two girls.. we were undefeated until they decided to add two 4th grade boys and dropped the girls.
I graduated from high school in a class of 46, the entire school from 7th through 12th grade only had 375 students..
I remember when the movie ticket was 12 cents for kids - 25 cents for adults, popcorn was a dime, cokes were a nickle.. RC cola was the big drink 'cause it came in larger bottles than coke, Nehi orange or grape was the drink of choice for little kids, or if you liked Strawberry, you could get a Big Red.

Hmmmmm, Wonder what ever happened to little Tommy Harris????

I don't know if anyone ever called this guy "little Tommy Harris". ;):rofl:

TheIncredibleHarris.jpg

I got a chance to meet him when he was still at OU. He's a genuinely nice guy that could most likely rip someone to pieces just by thinking about it. :D

I really miss one cent bazooka.

Smashing the taffy bar on the table to split it up with all your friends.

Being able to go to the pizza place on saturday for the lunch special, 2 slices and a coke for 25 cents.

Korvettes, as in dept store.

I miss being able to take the subway, in NYC at 1 am and feeling safe.

most of all, I miss my 1965 mustang.

I really miss one cent bazooka.

Smashing the taffy bar on the table to split it up with all your friends.

Being able to go to the pizza place on saturday for the lunch special, 2 slices and a coke for 25 cents.

Korvettes, as in dept store.

I miss being able to take the subway, in NYC at 1 am and feeling safe.

most of all, I miss my 1965 mustang.
Hmmm E.J. Korvetts if I remember correctly. Then there was 2 Guys from Harrison, and S. Klien on the Square. Rickles? $.10 hot pretzles sold by street vendors, dollar a bag white castle, oh yea, and my 64 1/2 Mustang with the 4 speed and 289. Zoom zoom.:rofl:

I'm younger than some of you geezers, but I remember...

Opening the hood on my '67 Mustang and actually being able to see where all eight spark plug wires went.

The improved ride and handling when radial tires made installed on that Mustang.

A decent school lunch was 50 cents, extra milk was a dime (and it was in glass bottles at that school). Candy bars and Cracker Jacks were a dime.

Four-digit phone numbers. (We lived in a small town at the time.)

The house was never locked unless we were out of town on vacation. The milkman left the milk in the fridge because we were all at school or work.

Pocket Instamatic cameras with 110 cartridge film and flash bars. (And don't forget your sister's Polaroid Swinger.)

Duncan tops and yo-yos.

I put miles on my Radio Flyer, and staged some great Tonka Truck wrecks. (Later upstaged by the plastic model cars stuffed with lighter fluid-soaked paper, flaming their way down the hill.)

Schwinn Stingray, Manta Ray, Orange Crate, and Banana Peeler bikes. I had a knock-off from White Auto that had 24" tires, and the 5-speed stickshift on the frame in front of the seat, right where boys shouldn't have a stickshift.

1/24 scale plastic car models were $2.00.

Chapstick came in one flavor: Chapstick.

People smoking at the doctor's office, in the supermarket, and pretty much anywhere else. Ashtrays in offices were very common. Mine included.

I'd probably remember more, but then the '70s and '80s happened. :rolleyes: :p

I must be really old.. the last year of my high school my phone number was only 2 digits..

They had phones back then? :p (I guess with fewer than about 90 phone numbers in use, not a lot of folks in your town had them, huh?) That would sure be handy if you forgot someone's number. Just start dialing at 10 and by the time you got to 99 you'd have found who you were looking for. :D

What about a burger, fries and coke from Mickey Ds for 35 cents?

Nickle candy bars

Really made my dad mad when the local Shell station added a penny to the price of a coke to make it 6 cents--it was in the glass bottles, cold and tasty

I ate breakfast at a local cafe before work on summer-- biscuit,, , sausage gravy, coffee and a 20 cent tip--all for 75 cents, less than 40 years ago

extra milk at school lunch was a penny when I started school, 5 cents when I graduated in '64

They had phones back then? :p (I guess with fewer than about 90 phone numbers in use, not a lot of folks in your town had them, huh?) That would sure be handy if you forgot someone's number. Just start dialing at 10 and by the time you got to 99 you'd have found who you were looking for. :D

Dial, what dial,:) you picked up the receiver and asked for the number.. my number back then was 98... it's the only past phone number I can remember... In 1960 it was a really big deal when the local phone company went to the rotary dials and we had to have 4 digits.

I even remember when they put electricity in the rural areas of Freestone County, Texas.. that was in the late '40s or early '50s.

I'm younger than some of you geezers, but I remember...

I'd probably remember more, but then the '70s and '80s happened. :rolleyes: :p

Boy that makes me really young. :rofl::D.

I remember playing all over the neighborhood and heading home when the street lights came on. Parents had no worries about it at all.

Not even knowing our house had locks on the doors.

Saving money to buy blank casette tapes and checking out LPs from the library to record and recording songs off the radio. (Still remember John Cougar's "Jack and Diane" as the first one. Still have the tape too, but no way to play it.:huh:)

All the music "aid" concerts/songs aimed to end world hunger, what happened?

Playing TACKLE football with my brother and neighborhood friends.

Going to the ER for stitches, I had a knack for getting hurt. Still do. :eek: No broken bones though

Snow ball fights, do kids still do that? :dunno: (guessing not since I just googled "snowball fight video game" and it came back with almost 500,000 hits) Sigh.

Kick the Can games with every kid in the neighborhood, which led to skinned knees or (see above) trips to the ER. :doh:

Like Vaughn I would remember more but then the 90's happened, or so I'm told. :eek:

I don't think things are so different. When my kids (currently 5 and 7) are old, they might reminisce about . . .

Chips at 50 cents or a buck a bag
The radio flyer wagon, though they like their home made one better
Their Tiva sandals and Wellies boots (green are best)
Curious George and the Three Stooges on TV
Johnny Cash and Shins tunes on the ipod
Having to get used to hot, humid July and August when we didn't have A.C.
Dope was highly addictive, but at leaste we knew something about it
walking or riding bikes to school
When a quarter was metal, and dollars were paper, not digital
Our local markets had wooden floors, though the bigger stores had floors that were more colorful and bright

paulh

I remember penny candy - and when you could get two candies for a penny

5 cent and 10 cent bag of chips.

Radio Flyer wagon

KEDS - green soles - you could run faster.

Puff the majic dragon

In the summertime was on the dadio

NOBODY - had A/C

Dope - was highly addictive and nobody "really" knew what it was.

We walked to school

Quarters did NOT have copper in the middle

Wooden floors in the market.