Deck skirt enclosed

Rob Keeble

Ok so i had my deck made for me when i arrived in Canada but now i got a feel for the local ways i finally decided to get round to putting on the skirt.

What a job. Between the grade slope and the heights around the deck each piece of lattice was a custom fit.

I feel like a trim carpenter took an age to do.

So i started with putting down stone and then put down a 4x4 post flat on the stone. Pounded that down and used 2x4 and framed up to the deck. Then 12 inch nails through 4x4 into ground. Strip of half 2x4 on top of 4x4 set back for lattice to but up against.

Fit lattice in and then trimmed out with strips all the way round. All screwed in place. Deck is also all screws thats how i spec d it at the time.

Deck is topside cedar undercarridge pressure treated.

I was not going to spring for cedar lattice way too costly and i am about to restain the whole deck after stripping it courtesy of Behr paints so the stain will change the pressure treated lattice to look like cedar. :D Good enough i dont see it and Bunny Fu fu wont mind i am sure and i could not care less about NN. :rofl:

Then on the side i improvised and made a access door using a lattice and my shop machines.

Cut a piece of 1x6x8 in half both ways. Then dadoe an edge for the lattice to ride in and sandwhiched the lattice between the pieces top and bottom. Added same set up on the side and mitred the corners. Added some ply triangles used loads of glue and voila one access panel. Sturdy enough i dont go under there and now it will be the hide of out of wasps and bumble bees. :rofl:

Deck lattice right hand side reduced.jpg Deck lattice left hand side reduced.jpg Access door on left hand side reduced.jpg Access panel open reduced.jpg Access panel door  frame detail reduced.jpg

Next up Stain.

And it's not even labor day yet (Well, almost down here in the states. Do you have an equivalent up there?)

Looks like a nice and useful project. Well done! :thumb:

Good looking skirt. I need to do the same with my deck and will 'borrow' your technique for the access panel. I think I will also stretch some screening on the inside all the way around to keep the flying things out. We have carpenter bees down here that love drilling holes in the deck supports.

Thanks guys , Vaughn you have the sharpest brain and a wonderful sense of humor. If i worked with you i would be getting caught out every sentence i speak.:rofl::rofl: I stepped into that one alright.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

rob,, suggestion on your corners on the frame work. fill them in flush so they dont collect snow and melt and then start the rot process earlier than needed.. the treated will stand up but the ply corners won without the fillers to make the snow fall off when melting