Rust hunting paid off, mystery is solved

What type, and what condition?

If you prefer a flat (not corrugated) sole, I might have one to trade.

Mine's a pre-war model, in pretty good shape.

I'd like to find a WWII era one, but almost all type 4½'s are good planes.

Steve, I realize that rust is your passion, but do you happen to run across any wooden molding planes while you are out beating the bushes?

Boat loads of them. They are every where around here. When you coming to visit?

Hmm, I do have plenty of air miles, a week of unplanned vacation time and a desire to see Tom, Larry and Charlie (well, mostly Charlie). But, I don't trust myself being in an area with such a bountiful supply of old tools. I might need to drive a U-Haul back with everything I picked up. It could end up being a very expensive trip!

Actually, today I am traveling south of me to check out a suitcase (yes, a suitcase) of wooden planes that I saw on Craigslist. The picture was fuzzy and it was not a close-up, but worth the trip just to see. This is very rare around here. We truly live in a desert when it comes to old tools. They will probably end up being junk with banana soles; missing boxing and blades; and/or abused in many ways. They also could be moulding planes for house work and not the furniture sizes I am looking for.

Maybe I could find me an agent in your area willing to find what I need for a small fee.;)

Hmm, I do have plenty of air miles, a week of unplanned vacation time and a desire to see Tom, Larry and Charlie (well, mostly Charlie).

Maybe I could find me an agent in your area willing to find what I need for a small fee.;)

well just so you understand the fine print bill i am the MIDDLE man on all transactions to the washington state area.. if i dont need it then it can got to your state:) jim delaney on the other hand has free pick form our distributor he is old and needs to best chance to get what he has need for:) besides he has given me many pieces of great wood:) so just so you know the rules bill :) and charlie says yu better get over here and we will even give you some good home brew:)

Hmm, I do have plenty of air miles, a week of unplanned vacation time and a desire to see Tom, Larry and Charlie (well, mostly Charlie). But, I don't trust myself being in an area with such a bountiful supply of old tools. I might need to drive a U-Haul back with everything I picked up. It could end up being a very expensive trip!

Actually, today I am traveling south of me to check out a suitcase (yes, a suitcase) of wooden planes that I saw on Craigslist. The picture was fuzzy and it was not a close-up, but worth the trip just to see. This is very rare around here. We truly live in a desert when it comes to old tools. They will probably end up being junk with banana soles; missing boxing and blades; and/or abused in many ways. They also could be moulding planes for house work and not the furniture sizes I am looking for.

Bill, I could get you some, but I have NO idea what I am looking at. NONE. If you need a place to stay and transport to the honey holes, I can provide that. Oh, you will also need your own money for the purchase:D

Dang, I was hoping to bypass the old tool mafia. What I should really do is contact Jim's wife and have her sell me some of his tool stash. He has so much it would be years before he caught on.

Well, if I did show up at your door, it will not be in the winter! Besides, aren't you coming out here some time to give Cynthia some private lessons in wood butchery?

Dang, I was hoping to bypass the old tool mafia. What I should really do is contact Jim's wife and have her sell me some of his tool stash. He has so much it would be years before he caught on.

Well, if I did show up at your door, it will not be in the winter! Besides, aren't you coming out here some time to give Cynthia some private lessons in wood butchery?

if you are referring to me then that trip is canceled bill:(

Bill, I could get you some, but I have NO idea what I am looking at. NONE. If you need a place to stay and transport to the honey holes, I can provide that. Oh, you will also need your own money for the purchase:D

Steve, I remember a time when you did not know a thing about rusty planes and I am confident it would not take you long. Besides the trend in the hand tool slippery slope is wooden planes, especially hollow, rounds and specialty moulding. Check out the pricing and wait times at MS Bickford Hand Planes or Old Street Tools.

I sense a business opportunity for someone in the right area. You could be the supplier to all of us that live in the wilderness.

Steve, I remember a time when you did not know a thing about rusty planes and I am confident it would not take you long. Besides the trend in the hand tool slippery slope is wooden planes, especially hollow, rounds and specialty moulding. Check out the pricing and wait times at MS Bickford Hand Planes or Old Street Tools.

I sense a business opportunity for someone in the right area. You could be the supplier to all of us that live in the wilderness.

You are starting to sound like Rob now. A business would ruin the hunt.