California Cold Snap

glenn bradley

Southern California (a small country in the state of California) is hilarious when it comes to inclement weather. Spoken as a native who has traveled to many other parts of the country and knows better . . . I have been in Canada where I was shivering in a down jacket while the guy who lived there stood around in a polo shirt without the least concern. This Jimmy Kimmel clip had me rolling . . .

http://www.hulu.com/watch/444728?playlist_id=1031&asset_scope=all

Yeah, I'm glad I'm in NM right now. Not because it's so cold in SoCal, but because I don't have to listen to the TV news guys rant about "StormWatch[SUP]TM[/SUP] 2013: The Arctic Diaries". Well, that, and I also don't have to listen to my wife complain about it being "freezing" outside every time the thermometer drops below 50º. :rolleyes: (OK, that's not quite true. I still have to listen to her complain...it's just over the telephone instead of in person.)

That said, I will say that 40º in SoCal sure feels colder than 40º in Albuquerque, especially in the daytime. I think it has to do with ABQ being a mile above sea level, and the stronger UV radiation at this altitude.

Southern California (a small country in the state of California) is hilarious when it comes to inclement weather. Spoken as a native who has traveled to many other parts of the country and knows better . . . I have been in Canada where I was shivering in a down jacket while the guy who lived there stood around in a polo shirt without the least concern. This Jimmy Kimmel clip had me rolling . . .

http://www.hulu.com/watch/444728?playlist_id=1031&asset_scope=all

Glenn
I've got an old down jacket I'll send you until things warm up!

I guess the Great White North is not ready for Jimmy Kimmel - pop up message says "....can only be viewed in the US":dunno:
The weather's upside down! It was +12C in Nova Scotia today. It's nice to have a couple of days like that in mid winter to clear away the driveway ice and get your Christmas light extension cords up! We don't want it for long though, un-natural things start happening to trees and crops.

As for your polo shirt guy, I can relate to him. I'm a lot more productive at -10 than I am at +30! Enjoy:wave:

As for your polo shirt guy, I can relate to him. I'm a lot more productive at -10 than I am at +30!

i bet you are peter:) those CA folks just dont know how good they have this time of the year huh,, as for not long i hear yu there we had a longer stretch of it here and the hyacinths are already popping threw, but things have cooled back down now its still warm for this time of year though. 28F today

Well, that, and I also don't have to listen to my wife complain about it being "freezing" outside every time the thermometer drops below 50º.

Amen to that. I'm originally from the frozen north but loml grew up in Phoenix and LA so she gets pretty grumpy at a small mercury drop. Even grumpier at the lack of UV incoming during the winter around here.

I think it has to do with ABQ being a mile above sea level, and the stronger UV radiation at this altitude.

Funny story. There is a large unnamed government run complex not to far from ABQ that had a large new computer installed by a large unnamed computer vendor. The computers where having an abnormally high rate of memory errors/failure and the vendor said "its because of the altitude you are having an excess of cosmic rays" (not wanting to replace several million dollars of memory they were getting a bit off the beaten track there). The lab folks responded with "ok so what is an expected amount of cosmic rays cause we're measuring them and they are only (some very small fractional % I can't remember anymore) higher than the altitude you guarantee this memory to run at. We can go get the portable detector and install it in the computer room if you want the numbers". The memory was replaced.

...the hyacinths are already popping threw, but things have cooled back down now its still warm for this time of year though. 28F today

68°F yesterday, and 33°F today. Quite a change!

All the snow (a cumulative foot or so) melted away, and now it's very muddy.

Daffodils are already up - they'll likely freeze off in the coming couple months.

Supposed to get colder as the week progresses, but on the news tonight they announced cancellation of next weekend's ice fishing tourney.

...Funny story. There is a large unnamed government run complex not to far from ABQ that had a large new computer installed by a large unnamed computer vendor. The computers where having an abnormally high rate of memory errors/failure and the vendor said "its because of the altitude you are having an excess of cosmic rays" (not wanting to replace several million dollars of memory they were getting a bit off the beaten track there). The lab folks responded with "ok so what is an expected amount of cosmic rays cause we're measuring them and they are only (some very small fractional % I can't remember anymore) higher than the altitude you guarantee this memory to run at. We can go get the portable detector and install it in the computer room if you want the numbers". The memory was replaced.

Sounds like a Los Alamos story. :D

And Larry, I was serious about the UV from the sun. It gets stronger as you go up in elevation, or go south south. Being in the southern part of the country and being at 5200' elevation gives us a double-whammy here. ;)

you know you're from central NY when...

Glenn, Yep, that's a funny clip!

that got me thinking and I did a little searching around and found this list of things that All central New Yorkers ought to identify with.

• You define summer as three months of bad sledding.
  • One of your neighbors constantly has bonfires.
  • You carry jumper cables in your car, and your girlfriend/wife/kid knows how to use them.
  • You know 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, cold, and construction.
  • It takes you 2 hours to go to the store for one item because you have to stop and talk to everyone in town
  • Cows are just part of the scenery
  • You know that the phrase, "Goin up ta," applies to going north, south, east, or west, up or down in elevation, and pretty much any other way you can travel.
  • The smell of freshly spread cow manure doesn't bother you.
  • Its perfectly normal for your life's aspirations to be working for the county.
  • Getting "dressed up" means tucking your shirt into your jeans and putting on clean work boots.
  • Halloween costumes are always designed around a snowsuit and winter boots.
  • You know what cheese curd is, and love it.
  • You know what 4-H is.
  • You ever went cow-tipping.
  • School gets canceled for a sports team going to State
  • You had a senior skip day.
  • Your car is always covered with mud, slush, and salt.
  • You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
  • You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
  • You think driving is better in the winter because the potholes get filled in with snow and the snow banks protect you from the guardrails.
  • You wear shorts when it hits 50 degrees.
  • You know exactly what time it needs to start snowing in order to have a snow day (3:30am).
  • Winter starts Halloween night.
  • You think that they don't have enough weather coverage on TV and radio.
  • You live within 10 minutes of an Ice Rink.
  • Weekend excitement involves a trip to RiteAid drugs.
  • Even ugly people enter beauty contests.
  • You decide to walk for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you need a ride.
  • Your graduating class has no more than 500 kids, including the 100-200 that didn't quite make it through.
  • Your doors to your car freeze shut.
  • Your teachers call you by your older sibling's name.
  • You leave your jacket on the back of the chair in the cafe, and when you go back the next day, it's still there, on the same chair.
  • You don't signal turns because everyone knows where you're going anyway.
  • You call a wrong number and they supply you with the correct one.
  • You have to name six surrounding towns to explain to people where you're from.
  • The town population increases by one-third when the universities go on break.
  • Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.
  • The mosquitoes in your yard have legal landing rights.
  • Catching lighting bugs is a way to entertain your kids for hours.
  • You’ve ridden your bike on the Erie Canal.
  • You can speak a second language: Native American. (Onondoga, Chittenango, Oneida, Tuscarora, Seneca, Canaseraga, Canastota, Oswego, Otisco, Owasco, Cayuga, Sauquoit, etc.)
  • You suffer a heart attack while shoveling snow out of your driveway.
  • You owe more money on your snowmobile than your car.
  • You keep the snow tires on your truck all year because it ain't worth taking them off for only two months.
  • You consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by.
  • You're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights a year because Saranac Lake is the coldest spot in the nation, and Syracuse gets more
  • snow than any other major city in the US.
  • If you get 131 inches of snow in a week and you comment that 'winter's finally here', you might live near Oswego.
  • You walk like a penguin for six months out of the year
  • Someone in a Home Depot offers you assistance, and they don't work there.
  • You have worn shorts and a parka on the same day.
  • Down South means Binghamton .
  • Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed. (this one really hit close to home... Right Rennie?)
  • You go out for a fish fry every Friday .(normally only during Lent)
  • Your idea of a traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a tractor.
  • You measure distance in hours.
  • You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
  • You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
  • You know where 'Upstate' and 'Downstate' begin

The California corollary:

You might be from Southern California if...

...you are complaining about the severe cold weather and it's 60 degrees out.
...your rent is $1,500 for a studio apartment and you know you got a deal.
...there is really no difference between the seasons and they just all meld together.
...you make good money and still can’t afford a house.
...you don’t think a 5.0 earthquake is a big deal.
...you pay a $1 more than anyone else for gas in the US.
...it's sprinkling and they issue a storm watch.
...you think you see an actor standing in a coffee line and it really is him/her.
...it’s sunny and warm on Christmas Day.
...if one or more of your kid’s friends are vegetarian.
...you have to get reservations in January for campground in the summer or else you may not get in.
...you drive an hour away to get the best cupcakes or donuts.
...it costs you $10.25 for a movie ticket and $20 for popcorn, a drink, and candy.
...body piercings and fully tattooed bodies don’t make you look twice.
...you put arugula, feta cheese, and walnuts on your pizza.
...it seems normal to drive for two hours on the freeway just to get to the other side of town.
...there are three different upscale food markets in your neighborhood.
...if you can find 10 Starbucks within a ten block radius.
...if you grew up going to Disneyland at least 4 times a year.

You know you are from the Pacific Northwest if:

...You know the state flower (mildew).
...You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.
...You use the statement "sun break" and know what it means.
...You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.
...You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.
...You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.
...You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal.
...You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.
...You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's.
...You know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon.
...You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima, and Willamette (not to mention geoduck).
...You consider swimming an indoor sport.
...You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese, and Thai food.
...In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark—while only working eight-hour days.
...You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.
...You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."
...You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
...You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.
...You can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.
...You notice, "The mountain is out" when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.
...You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
...You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.
...You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
...You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.
...You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.
...You measure distance in hours (e.g., it is an hour and a half from Bellingham to Seattle)
...You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day. And you have A/C in your car, but never in your house. You'd probably only use it 10-12 days a year anyway.
...You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.
...You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer), Deer & Elk season (Fall).

Original Source Unknown

If your from Michigan...

You know that UP is a place, not a direction.
You know it's possible to live in a thumb.
The only place in the world can you experience all four seasons in one day.
Your doctor tells you to drink Vernor's and you know it's not medicine.
You know what a 'party store' is.
You've never met any celebrities.
At least one member of your family disowns you the week of the Michigan / Michigan State game.
Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.
Half the change in your pocket is Canadian....eh?
You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.
You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.
You know how to pronounce "Mackinac."
You've had to switch on the heat and the air conditioning in the same day.
You bake with SODA and drink POP.
Your little league game was snowed out.
The word "thumb" has geographical rather than anatomical significance.
Traveling coast-to-coast means driving from Port Huron to Muskegon.
You measure distance in minutes.
When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left."
You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but is only 100 miles from Hell.
Your year has two seasons: Winter and Construction
Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.
You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.
You know that Big Mac is something that you drive over.
You carry jumper cables and snow chains in your trunk.
You design your kids' Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
Driving in the winter is better because the pot-holes are filled with snow.
Your favorite holidays are Christmas,Thanksgiving, and the opening of Deer Season, which you consider a National Holiday.
You learned to drive a boat before you could ride a bike.
The "Big Three" means either Ford, Chrysler and GM, or Little Caesar's, Domino's, or Hungry Howie's.
You think alkaline batteries were named after a Tiger outfielder.
The orange barrel is considered Michigan's 'other' lighthouse.

It was supposed to be upper 20s this am. They were right. What they missed was the 1/2" of snow on the grassy areas.:eek: How do you miss forecasting that???:huh: Oh well, the pups enjoyed it, right until the youngest, 1 year old Irish Setter, came in muddy from tip of nose to tip of tail and had to have a bath. He fussed for 30 minutes afterward wanting to go right back out. He is now in timeout in his crate.:wave: Jim.