Midi Lathe/Stand setup... aka help me set up lathe land in my shop.

Ned Bulken

Ok spinny types.
latheland.jpg

Now that I have my Midi in the shop and even resting on its stand, what's next? That's roughly where I plan on having my lathe in the shop at this point... the storage tower to the left of the window was meant to hold works in progress (never got around to making any...), and I plan on putting the grinder on a small shelf on the wall to the right of the lathe.

Here are some 'old' construction shots of the lathe stand, to which I've added a shelf, which is stacked with turning blanks (pretty well dried out ones at this point, but...)

I also added a pair of 2x4's which stick out about 4" both front and rear to give it a wider footprint since these photos were taken

As it stands now the workpiece on the lathe is 'just below' elbow height when I'm standing.

Is there any advantage for me to tie the stand in to the wall and/or floor for stability? I also am planning on a rack for chisels, and/or a shelf for my chuck and so forth.

Oh, and also a light of some sort over in that corner as well (the only flourescent would be behind and over my shoulder at the moment)

I'd keep an eye out at the thrift store for one of the telescoping lamps so you can swing it around and put light where you need it.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/665677/Ledu-Opti-Series-Swing-Arm-Lamp/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=49538FBA-3723-E111-BAE2-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Office_Supplies+Desk_Accessories_Dcor_Lighting-_-665677&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=19948485956&mr:keyword={keyword}

Looks good but for me I would add 2X4's at the front edge in order to have the lathe as close to the edge as possible. It may not but the legs may interfer with your movement from side to side.

Darren has a good point, to expand on that...knock a few lamps into the wall, 2-3 and have an enlightned evening! On a seperate note...some of that stock is far to large for that lathe. Given the new IRS rules...I'd donate all of that stuff in a hurry...tax time is on the horizion!

Ned I have my grinder on a pedestal stand. You can get them for less then $30 from Harbor Freight. When I am not turning I keep it against the wall next to the lathe when I am not turning and scoot it around close to the heads stock in front of the lathe when I am. It's cast Iron and I think mine cost me about 50 cents a pound so the grinder is very stable and convenient when I need to dress up and edge on a tool. The wall behind the lathe is where I keep all my tools.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm with Vaughn. No need to tie in. Unless a problem comes along, leave as is. Good job.
Just don't step back into that hole in the floor. :eek:
Frank, I'll have to see how it reacts when I put a bowl blank on there in the coming months.
That hole is the end of the rail on my tablesaw, it shouldnt be a problem.

I'd keep an eye out at the thrift store for one of the telescoping lamps so you can swing it around and put light where you need it.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/665677/Ledu-Opti-Series-Swing-Arm-Lamp/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=49538FBA-3723-E111-BAE2-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Office_Supplies+Desk_Accessories_Dcor_Lighting-_-665677&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=19948485956&mr:keyword={keyword}
Actually I just picked up a free lamp that i think will work nicely.

Looks good but for me I would add 2X4's at the front edge in order to have the lathe as close to the edge as possible. It may not but the legs may interfer with your movement from side to side.
Mike, Thanks, that's just the thing i was hoping to find out!

Darren has a good point, to expand on that...knock a few lamps into the wall, 2-3 and have an enlightned evening! On a seperate note...some of that stock is far to large for that lathe. Given the new IRS rules...I'd donate all of that stuff in a hurry...tax time is on the horizion!
Jim,
and what would the shipping be to the recipient I wonder? I do have a Bandsaw yaknow.. I was planning on trimming some of those blanks to safer dimensions ;)

Ned I have my grinder on a pedestal stand. You can get them for less then $30 from Harbor Freight. When I am not turning I keep it against the wall next to the lathe when I am not turning and scoot it around close to the heads stock in front of the lathe when I am. It's cast Iron and I think mine cost me about 50 cents a pound so the grinder is very stable and convenient when I need to dress up and edge on a tool. The wall behind the lathe is where I keep all my tools.
Don,
I'm loathe to give up floor space, think I'm going to build a shelf for the grinder instead. It's on my list, think I'll get to it in a couple of weeks. a couple of more pressing things have come up that need to be addressed first.

Here's how I have mine setup. If I didn't have the bed extension on it I could mount my grinder on the end.

View attachment 68572
View attachment 68573
Looks good John, I've got an extension for mine as well, but at this point it has simply been used as ballast or been tripped over. I doubt I'll need it any time soon. One thing your shot has shown me, I've got just the thing to go behind my lathe... more pegboard... along with some more lighting etc...

Thanks all! I really do appreciate the tips!