Todays Auction haul

Went to auction today, about forgot about it. Might be a good thing I didn't.

Stanley 42 box, papers and set. Sticker still on handle.
SDC10564.jpg

Stanley #5, sole rough, real rough. 2 braces, bottom one is broken. Old syringe, just for giggles.
SDC10563.jpg

Paid and to the truck for 21.50 all total.

Might have a old router and saw coming yet. Had to leave, buddy was staying, so I gave him my high amounts for both.

Re: Plane
I bought one at a flea market to replace the #5 I dropped and cracked the frame, cleaned it up, sharpened blade so it would shave. It worked so well, I pulled the blades on the other four. I was about to give up on using my Stanleys until I concentrated on sharpening and aligning them. It so sweeeet watching those extremely thin curls come through into visibility! I have made almost toothpicks from scrap just to have the experience of using hundred year old planes! They even make a melodious sound!

Is the brace with the larger chuck a North Brothers? The chuck on my Stanley brace was always a little irritating to use. I got a North Brothers to try it out and never picked up the Stanley again. It's a great tool.
paulh

Re: Old braces.....at the local "Restore" from Habitat for Humanity, that I go to, I see old braces all the time. Are they worth something? If so, what should I look for?

There are collectors out there, and some braces are pretty pricey. The bits - or more correctly, sets of bits - are collected, too, and they can get pricey as well. I have a few of those, too, in addition to the few planes. :)

Interestingly, Cynthia, both of the ReStore's that I go to often have braces for sale - usually for just a dollar or two. I see them there more often than at flea markets and yard sales. :dunno:

Cynthia, I can give you some more specifics about braces. Some are worth quite a bit, others not. If you find one stamped "Bell System" it was bought by the phone company back when it was "THE" phone company. These are generally well made, and of fine quality. Problem is that they were used by linemen etc., and so you have to make sure condition is good. Simply being stamped Bell system doesn't make it more valuable to collectors though, which is good.

Look at the wood - often Bell system braces had some kind of composite/hard rubber components. This is fine, if you like it. Better braces had cocobolo or rosewood, these can be very nice.

The best brace I know of is the Yankee 2101 or 2101A. If you hold one and feel its ratchet mechanism, you'll see why. These can often go for $35-65. But they can also be found for a few bucks. If you find one for say $10 in good condition, grab it.

Then there's the sweep. It refers to the diameter of the circle you make as you bore. Smaller diameter is faster, with less torque. I have 6", 8", 10" and 12" sweeps, and covet a 14". But I am a tool pig, as anyone who knows me already is aware.

Look at the way the top is attached. Is there a ball bearing, or is it simply wood on the metal shaft? Are there oil ports?

Not so simple after all. And we haven't even touched on the bits that go in the braces. Best of luck in your slide down the slope of toolaholism.

Attachments

• braces.jpg
    braces.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 14
  • box o bits.jpg
    box o bits.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 13
I have one of the "Bell system" braces - it's made by North Brothers. At some point, North Bros. got gobbled up by someone else - i've seen the exact same tool with the Yankee name on it. I'm not sure of the model number, but the chuck configuration on mine is identical to the far left brace in Ken's photo. It's built like a tank and very precise. I don't collect tools, but buy older quality tools to get excellent tools at a good price. I use mine for a range of tasks whether doing rough carpentry or fine furniture building.
Mine is very much a utilitarian tool and has a black composit palm grip. For my needs, the rosewood would be fine, but certainly isn't necessary.
The point about getting a good set of bits is a good one. I also use my bit extension, a countersink, and a tapered reemer quite a bit. I see all of this stuff quite cheap at estate sales pretty regularly.
paulh

I've got one or two old braces and some assorted bits I inherited from one of my grandfathers. I really need to clean them up and see what they are. I'm probably too much of an electron burner to use them much, but they'd still be nice to have available. (I like the idea of using a countersink bit, as Ken showed in one of his pics.)