Mark's physics lesson today

We're moving to a house much closer to where we work (I walk in most days) and I moved some of the shop today. I learned an important lesson today. When you have two tools mounted to the same cabinet / mobile base, the one that is cantilevered off to the side should be removed first. Then remove the big heavy lunchbox planer on center of gravity. Then you can go ahead and remove the router from the shelf (also on center of gravity). Under no circumstances should you merrily remove all of the weight resting on the center of gravity before removing the cantilevered 8" slow speed grinder. Especially when the drawers are still in and, among other things, hold your nice dovetail handsaw. Thankfully I had the blade guard on said saw so I don't think it got hurt.

Oh, biophysics lesson: when you are in the process of remembering basic physics, such as moment arms, and you are 5 feet away when your system starts going dynamic, running and grabbing for it will do nothing other than give a nice little laceration.

I'm doubling my shop space and reclaiming 2 hours a day of commute time with this move, so hopefully I will be able to start doing shop things again, with the posting here that accompanies such.

It is sort of like that old, old joke, "Other than that, how was the show Mrs. Lincoln?"

So---Other than excitement, lacerations, etc., how is the move Mark?
I hope it goes well from here on; NO strained muscles, squished toes, broken machinery, etc.

Enjoy, it sounds like a great move. I envy that part about doubling the size of the shop. Since I am retired, I cannot move any closer to my work---I'm there.

JimB

Glad to hear the lacerations were only minor. Lessons learned with a bit of blood tend to stay remembered better, huh?

...so hopefully I will be able to start doing shop things again, with the posting here that accompanies such.

Just so you know, doing shop things really isn't a requirement for posting here. ;) A lot of us here get little or no shop time these days. (Heaven knows it sure doesn't stop me from posting, LOL.)

Lessons learned with a bit of blood tend to stay remembered better, huh?
This may be true for the majority but I aint sure in my case i have scars to show for not having learned first time. :rofl: Call me blockhead for short. :)

Good to see you around Mark, you going to feel lost not driving all that distance. Just think of the gas savings wow.:thumb: Looking forward to seeing your new projects when you get settled.

Hey, Mark. We all have moments like that at one point or another, whether we admit it or not. The older I get, the more I can chalk it up to 'senior moments'! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, you sound excited about your move. Good luck on the rest of it! :thumb:

The laceration smarts still, but is otherwise minor. Looks like it sliced away about three square millimeters of skin is all.

My first thought upon doing this, second thought really, the dovetail saw was properly the first, was of a certain gentleman here from California who wore gloves while using a drill press.

, was of a certain gentleman here from California who wore gloves while using a drill press.

trying to think....uh.......long hair in ponytail, skinny, plays guitar, lives in the same state where they hide all the alien spaceships this country gathers, ,nah, don't know anyone like there here.

Yeah, doesn't ring any bells to me, either. :huh: :rofl:

Gravity always wins!

I have this t-shirt:

obey-gravity.jpg

I bought it for myself after the 30 foot fall that broke my back. :bang:

that old gravity thing . . .

I have to admit not always tolerating fools or foolish questions gladly, or silently! Having had my share of injuries, doctor's visits, and therapy, people have asked me dozens of times if I could squat down. "As long as they don't repeal the law of gravity!"

Here is a little tale about gravity. Maybe some truth in it somewhere, maybe not.

Hu

Dear Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "Poor Planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found I had some bricks left over which when weighed later were found to weigh 240 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs of bricks. You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight is 135 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3, accident reporting form. Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope. And I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back onto me . . . .

Ken,

I'm genuinely tone deaf. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it! Have to say I like the song better than the story though. I saw there was a song but didn't check it out before posting. Good follow-up!

Hu

I've got the same bucket Hu, and to stay on topic, everytime I think I can carry it off, gravity slams the section where vocals come from, face first back to earth :rofl:

Last edited: