Kid's Workbench with Vise

Dan Gonzales

Hello All,

Last week we had my son's Cub Scout den over to build their pinewood derby cars. It gave the kick in the pants I needed to build three of these benches. I had originally bought the vises on clearance for $9 each, I would use a larger vice with a dog if I were to build more. Inspiration was by way of Fine Woodworking, but I didn't use maple everything.

The benches stand at 30" with a 14" wide by 36" long worktop. The vises can grip material up to 4". The plywood is 3/4" and 1/2" scrap radiata pine (doubled up for the worktop), scrap 1/2" baltic birch plywood for the vise faces and new kiln dried studs for the legs. Glue, deck screws and assorted nuts and bolts. I think I'll give them a final sanding and seal them up because I'm sure they'll be left out at times.

Cheers,

Dan G

kid_bench_1.jpg

kid_bench_2.jpg

kid_bench_3.jpg

kid_bench_4.jpg

Cub Scouts at work:

cub_scouts_1.jpg

cub_scouts_2.jpg

Inspiration:

inspiration_1.jpg

inspiration_2.jpg

Get em while they young Dan, cool bench and vice setup. Nice size for someone working in an apartment on a balcony too just make legs a bit longer. Could be a nice indoor carving bench.:thumb:

my favorite builds are always building something that is going to get used a lot, something that is essential or needed.
thanx for posting this.
the kids prove this was a very good build.
keep em coming.

I also learned something, I didn't know cubscouts have little girls.
I thought they joined girlscouts.

I also learned something, I didn't know cubscouts have little girls.
I thought they joined girlscouts.

Hello Allen,

My two daughters were hanging around in the back because they just can't stay away from projects and there was one little girl whose twin brother is a cub scout. They are inseparable and she does the scouting projects even though she isn't a member.

These are ridiculously cheap on clearance at Lowe's.
emynu6yg.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I see one of those for my grandson! Nice job. On thing I might add is a piece of 1/4" or so Masonite, pressboard or fiberboard, whatever it is called, screwed to the top so it can be changed every once in a while when it get painted up or damaged.