Seeking advice about the Rockler Drill Press Table

frank, my vote goes to a piece of scrap mdf or baltic....you won`t be worried about shooting or screwing jigs -n-fixtures to a piece of scrap.......tod

frank, my vote goes to a piece of scrap mdf or baltic....you won`t be worried about shooting or screwing jigs -n-fixtures to a piece of scrap.......tod
Tod, that is what I have been using and I am sure will still use for some jobs even if I buy the table. I am looking for something that will handle most jobs with less set-up and fiddling around.

I bought the Rockler table earlier this summer. Since I'm not into building all my own fixtures (that's a whole other subject) I decided to pick up this fairly inexpensive kit. So far I like it. One thing I have noticed is that you can't tighten the knobs and handles too much because the sliding slots are made from the MDF. I would buy the top again if needed.

I bought the Rockler table earlier this summer. Since I'm not into building all my own fixtures (that's a whole other subject) I decided to pick up this fairly inexpensive kit. So far I like it. One thing I have noticed is that you can't tighten the knobs and handles too much because the sliding slots are made from the MDF. I would buy the top again if needed.
Thanks Jim, it's good to hear from someone who has actually used the table. I was wonering if anyone had? Did you get the dust control attachment? If so, how do you like it?

It looks very similar to the Grizzly model I have (and have been happy with), although the Rockler uses a two-piece fence as opposed to the one-piece fence Griz uses. I understand that Griz is not available to you, and the Rockler table is, but for the difference in price, I'd likely consider making one if I were in your shoes.

I bought one

Before Christmas, I purchased an after-market drill-press table and fence from Rockler (I had to use up my 2006 tool budget somehow :D ). This week, I installed the unit. The table is quite substantial (28.5” x 21” x 1.25”) and appears to be well made. I checked it with my Lee Valley straight edge and it is dead-flat. It is good to be able to easily hold much larger pieces of wood. And often, such as in the picture to the right, I can now eliminate clamping altogether.

Rockler drill press table top -1 -small.JPG

Attaching the table to the drill press and assembling the fence were both quite easy to do and they appear to be quite secure. I like the fence and am sure that I will use it a lot. I also purchased a vacuum attachment, an a set of blocks and hold-downs. They came with no instructions and I needed to look at the picture in the catalogue in order to figure out how to assemble them. The stops and hold downs are moderately useful but I except that I will, more often than, not have to resort to separate clamps.

Rockler drill press table top -3 -small.JPG

I needed to put duct tape on the dust port in order to connect it to my Festool vacuum. Once I did that the chip collection was so-so. But, I am glad that I have it because, once the work is removed, it is easy the sweep the chips towards the opening where they get sucked up.

Rockler drill press table top -4 small.JPG

Very nice-looking table, Frank. That's much more substantial than the little Grizzly table I've got on my benchtop drill press. :thumb:

Very nice-looking table, Frank. That's much more substantial than the little Grizzly table I've got on my benchtop drill press. :thumb:
Yes it is quite substantial, well designed, and well made Vaughn. Before I bought it, I was concerned that it would not be as good as it looked in the catalogue because I have not heard great things about Rockler quality. I am happy to learn that those concerns (at least for this item) were unfounded.

Yes it is quite substantial, well designed, and well made Vaughn. Before I bought it, I was concerned that it would not be as good as it looked in the catalogue because I have not heard great things about Rockler quality. I am happy to learn that those concerns (at least for this item) were unfounded.

I agree that this table seems pretty sturdy. The only thing that I'm not totally happy with is the slots for the hold down on the fence. I just have to remember to not crank down on the knob.

I agree that this table seems pretty sturdy. The only thing that I'm not totally happy with is the slots for the hold down on the fence. I just have to remember to not crank down on the knob.
Right you are Jim. Just to clarify for others who will be reading this, the slots on the table do not have this problem; the problem is cofined to the slots on the fence.