shop heat part 2

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The plumber came and did his thing. He also installed a 1/2" flared fitting for a gas hose into the valve on the Mr. Heater.

It won't light. If you wait long enough, it will puff out the lighter. I am using one of those butane trigger lighters. The metered propane into my house is regulated - at what I don't know. I also don't know if the on/off low-med-hi valve on the Mr. Heater is also a regulator.

Mr. Google has not given me any other insight. :huh:

Any HVAC people with propane experience here?

Don, Mr. Heater was working very well when attached to the tank. All that is new here is the gas valve from the house's metered propane supply. And gas is flowing through that valve.

Mr. Heater is for Propane and not Natural Gas right? If so, I'd say Don might be on to something with the thermo couple.

Edit: Nevermind....just saw your other posts

The metered propane into my house is regulated - at what I don't know. I also don't know if the on/off low-med-hi valve on the Mr. Heater is also a regulator.
Carol,
according to their web site that unit has it's own regulator, maybe the regulator doen't like the fact that the gas is already at a low pressure. I would think hat the regulator would run wide open but maybe not.:huh:

How long is the run from the meter to the mr heat?
How big is the pipe that was run?
Mr heat is designed to run on full bottle pressure. With the house reg and the run to the shop it sounds like your not getting the psi that mr heat needs to operate.
Can we get back to that boom now?:eek:

Boom is NOT part of the plan, Chuck. You'd miss me! :D

I have since learned that there is a check valve in the valve body of the Mr. Heater. The cylinder pressure has to work against that check valve. The house propane (already regulated) does not have enough oomph to push past it.

I also just bought a propane generator that probably will have the same issue. I will call the gas company tomorrow. If their plan is to sell me as much gas as they can, then they ought to be able to help me.

Stay tuned.

Nope! The Mr. Heater I have is a high pressure device and ain't gonna work the way I had hoped.

Now I am shopping for another heater that will. And now altitude has come into the equation. I am at 6200 feet. Heaters will work to 4500 feet I am told. I called that vendor and was told a vent free heater suffered from lack of oxygen over 4500 and would shut itself off. Vented heaters are a whole lot more money.

Color me totally confused. And still cold!

The Bar-B-Que never had a tank. It is directly connected to the house propane. Mr. Heater has a tank that is pricey to fill.

BTW, Chuck, I do have an electric radiant heater out there. It takes too long to get things to survival level.

Why is it that trying to save money costs so darn much money?

No, Ed. It is a pressure issue, not a volume issue. The pressure from the metered line is much less than the tank. The Mr. Heater is a high pressure device, requiring the tank.