New Shop Dog

When Judy and I married last year, she brought her dog, Jonas, into the marriage. Jonas quickly became a shop dog, keeping me company while I worked in the shop. But Jonas was older and developed cancer - we had to put him down recently.

So, a couple of days ago, we went to the pound and adopted a new "shop dog" - black, seven years old and well adjusted. He was a surrender dog but I can't see how anyone could give him up. Hopefully, he'll pick up woodworking quickly.

We named him "Skipper" because he looks like he may have some schipperke in him.

Mike

You can see more pictures here

BlackDog1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Jonas. It's always tough.

Looks like Skipper has already made himself quite at home. Good for you in taking in a pound dog. That's all we plan for in the future (unless they show up on our doorstep on Christmas eve).

Congratulations :congrats::congrats:

nice new friend you have there and good luck on the cat part,, i dont think its gonna happen on my end..they co exist but are not buddys:)

You never know Larry. Sometimes it takes quite a while, but eventually they kind of work out an agreement between themselves...

Cute little pup Mike. Any clue as to the breed?
Not a clue. His face looks like a lab but he's too small. His overall body shape (front to back) is somewhat like a schipperke but the hair is different. He's a bit on the long side so he may have some dachshund, but he's not as long as a full dachshund. He has LOTS of energy and wants to take long walks but he doesn't look like a terrier. So I really don't know. Judy tried one of the DNA testing services on Jonas (also a rescue dog) but they couldn't tell her much about his heritage so we'll probably never know for sure.

But the breed doesn't really matter to me. He's cute, social and doesn't have any bad habits that I've detected (yet). And he's also a chick magnet. Can't ask for a much more.

Mike

[Oh, while he looks like a pup, the pound said his previous owners told them he was seven years old. That was good for us because there's no fee to adopt dogs five or more years old. You have to pay for the license and a couple of other things, but no adoption fee.]

GER...CHI...ANH...AU...SHEEE...HAU...PHER...HAU...DDD!!!! sound about what Brent would say after seeing him chew on the cords for the new media computer. :D

Logan did chew a bunch of cords under my desk earlier this year. Thankfully, he's gotten over that!

Congratulations on the new shopbuddy Mike. Hope he works it out with the cat. Had an experience when i was around 9 yrs where i brought home a stray ginger cat, (always loved that colour cat) mom had some sort of ladies home promo for makeup on the go in the "fancy" lounge all were being served tea. Cat was in lounge with dog closed outside by lounge door.
Well yours trully opens door and dog (spaniel black/white) enters room sees cat and the chase was on. The scene could have come out if hollywood except i dont think they could have set it up so perfectly.
Cat ran across all the ladies laps followed by dog ....cups of tea flew everywhere it was a site for sore eyes and a good laugh after. Never could get the scene outta my head :)

Hard to really tell from the angle and not seeing the size straight on, but my guess in a long haired jack russell with lab or shephard cross in there. Great looking dog, congrats on rescuing it. Think of the agony of losing one, then think of the agony of having to give one up!

He is a shop dog in training and a nice one. Congrats Mike looks like a great match between you the wife and new dog. I'd say he in one lucky dog..

I think we should get the shop dog breed recognized by the AKC..

Garry