The joy of vehicles On to The F150

Garry Foster

Well now that I have the Bronco II on the road I am starting on the F150..

Man I love owning vehicles, I am to poor or cheap to buy anything very new anymore except the Camper we bought last year. So I try and keep my older stuff going. My F150 ran out of inspection the first of Feb and my Bronco II the first of March. Not really much wrong with either but too much cold and snow to work on them. All my Bronco II need was rear brakes I thought.

Well when I got in there I had a wheel cylinder that had leaked a little so I said I just throw everything on it. So, new shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kit drums and all just 100.00 +/- change. Not bad says I. Had some good weather so I got all the new stuff installed and called the wife down to bleed the brakes and low and behold the brake line to cylinder was leaking on one side pretty bad. Wouldn't tighten up so got to looking and the threads were over size on the new wheel cylinder. It was a weekend so didn't get part exchanged till Monday. Got that all fixed up and pulled the front wheels justs to look at the pads, they were fine but the calipers were pretty rusted in place so I tore them apart, wire wheeled and lubricated. Noticed the passenger side outer tie rod was a little lose. So another 14.00 dollars and an hour or so and I had that fixed. Called and they could get to it this morning. Passed and after 57.00 inspection fees its back on the road.

Now for the F150....I have new coil spring buckets to install on it. Drill/grind out 6 each 1/2 inch or so rivets on each side plus deal with all the other rusty hardware..

And have to get the old motor E350 home inspected, its scheduled for a week from yesterday. Only 3000 miles last year so I hope it goes smoothly.

I have my sons lawn tractor here that I have to rebuild the front axle for before mowing season.

I wonder why it seems I never have time for woodworking..:(

Garry

Last edited:
Jay
I live in PA.

They can charge what they want for inspections, and we have to have safety and emissions. If pre 1996 all they have to do is look and see if everything is there and do a vacuum test on the gas tank cap. For this the emissions test was 33.37. If I drive less than 5000 miles a year then I am exempt for the emissions test. I still have to go to an official inspection station and get a sticker, and they can still charge what they want. If it is Post 1996 they hook your ODB connector up to a computer and dial in. It either passes or fails and the station doesn't have anything to do with it. And it can fail even if your check engine light is not on. Depending on the year there can only be so many incompletes in your engine management computer. As I said I paid 33.37 for this and many places charge 45 and up for the emission test. Only after you pass the emissions test can they proceed with the safety test which consists of lights, brakes, exhaust, horn ect. I paid 20 for this, and then you have to pay sales tax of course. And these taxes are pass or fail although some places will retest for free if you do your own work. I would say that most places won't retest for free. Most places charge 28.00 and up for the safety inspection. The guy I use for this is reasonable except he loves to fail ball joints and king pins.

Then my motorhomes are exempt from any emissions sticker but most places charge 75.00 and up for safety only because of the size.

Oh then there is the issue where you let them run out as I did and the only legal way to get then to an inspection station is have a licensed inspector drive them there or have them hauled/ towed. I took the back roads.

Isn't big brother intervention a wonderful thing?

Garry

Last edited:
Jay
I live in PA.

They can charge what they want for inspections, and we have to have safety and emissions. If pre 1996 all they have to do is look and see if everything is there and do a vacuum test on the gas tank cap. For this the emissions test was 33.37. If I drive less than 5000 miles a year then I am exempt for the emissions test. I still have to go to an official inspection station and get a sticker, and they can still charge what they want. If it is Post 1996 they hook your ODB connector up to a computer and dial in. It either passes or fails and the station doesn't have anything to do with it. And it can fail even if your check engine light is not on. Depending on the year there can only be so many incompletes in your engine management computer. As I said I paid 33.37 for this and many places charge 45 and up for the emission test. Only after you pass the emissions test can they proceed with the safety test which consists of lights, brakes, exhaust, horn ect. I paid 20 for this, and then you have to pay sales tax of course. And these taxes are pass or fail although some places will retest for free if you do your own work. I would say that most places won't retest for free. Most places charge 28.00 and up for the safety inspection. The guy I use for this is reasonable except he loves to fail ball joints and king pins.

Then my motorhomes are exempt from any emissions sticker but most places charge 75.00 and up for safety only because of the size.

Oh then there is the issue where you let them run out as I did and the only legal way to get then to an inspection station is have a licensed inspector drive them there or have them hauled/ towed. I took the back roads.

Isn't big brother intervention a wonderful thing?

Garry

Garry i was born and raised in PA, most of my family still lives there. Didn't no it had got so bad there.Darn west coast codes.That's where it always starts.:rofl: Same with the building codes. Being a country boy i'm sure i could still find ya a place that that would give ya a sticker with out even looking under the hood.:rolleyes::rofl:

Garry i was born and raised in PA, most of my family still lives there. Didn't no it had got so bad there.Darn west coast codes.That's where it always starts.:rofl: Same with the building codes. Being a country boy i'm sure i could still find ya a place that that would give ya a sticker with out even looking under the hood.:rolleyes::rofl:

Stephen
Well they don't have emissions all over the state. We are one of the lucky county's that do. We are luckier than some of the earlier ones as they have actual tailpipe sniffing. The "funny" thing is when it started here the officials in charge pretty much guaranteed it wouldn't run over 20.00. I think there might be one place in the county that will do them for that. The official computer they have to have runs about 5 K i hear. And each call to the master site costs 5.00. They all think they ought to get back the cost of the machine in the first few months I guess..
Garry

Man thats some scam they got going there in here in Mo the inspection is capped at $14 set by the state. The only way they can get more is if they find something that wont pass and the owner has them do the work. If you want to take it home and do it thats OK and they have to reinspect at no charge. So in the end that makes the hole inspection game a joke as the shops dont want to inspect it right for fear of telling the home handy man what he has to fix and they get nothing.

Man thats some scam they got going there in here in Mo the inspection is capped at $14 set by the state. The only way they can get more is if they find something that wont pass and the owner has them do the work. If you want to take it home and do it thats OK and they have to reinspect at no charge. So in the end that makes the hole inspection game a joke as the shops dont want to inspect it right for fear of telling the home handy man what he has to fix and they get nothing.

Jay

Missouri is where I am from. I moved out here in 1984 and worked for a company/gov contractor in Kansas City until I retired last July. I think when I left Mo. it was 4.00 for safety inspection, but even then there was some corruption around the cites. I worked with a gent that installed new ball joints and Kmart tried to fail them. Ball joints were a big failure item when I lived in MO. It wasn't near as bad in the smaller towns.

I always though I'd get back but now have a Son in northern Ohio and a Daughter in Fl. They both are married and I doubt that we will be moving back to Missouri even though my wife and I both still have family there...

Inspection or taxes! Wow, that's hefty for an inspection Stu!

In Cali and Nevada, there's no real 'safety' inspection, but you do have to get a smog check... Not that expensive, but it's real annoying...

I surprised that Don hasn't weighed in here... unless there's been a drastic change since I lived there, Arizona has an EPA fee attached to their inspection... In 1994 when I moved there I was driving a new Honda Civic and when I went to inspect it I paid $250 + the license fees.

Garry, I just spent the last few weeks re-doing he rear brakes on my woods truck. (new brake lines and wheel cylinders) . Everything went well, but I forgot to do a wrench check on the lugnuts after using the impact wrench. A week later while hauling a load of fire wood home one of the rear wheels came off. Got to go to the junk yard to get a rear brake assembly. :(

We don't have any of those big brother inspections in Michigan.

A friend of mine bought some land out in Wyoming. He decided to build a pole building on the property so He would have a place to stay and store things when he was out there. He went to the county office to inquire about building permits and codes and asked, "what do I need so I can build a pole barn" The lady replied, " generally we use 2x4's and such." He laughed and asked what permits he might need. She replied " Nails are good, it's a free country, your can do whatever you darn well want to" :rofl::rofl::rofl: How refreshing is that!!!

I surprised that Don hasn't weighed in here... unless there's been a drastic change since I lived there, Arizona has an EPA fee attached to their inspection... In 1994 when I moved there I was driving a new Honda Civic and when I went to inspect it I paid $250 + the license fees.
Musta changed since 94. When we moved gere 3 1/2 years ago LOML had to get her's done and it cost $25. It's a 02 Saburban. I've never had to have my 05 Silverrado done. Maybe having moved from Cali had something to do with it since they have stricter smog laws there.

Garry, I just spent the last few weeks re-doing he rear brakes on my woods truck. (new brake lines and wheel cylinders) . Everything went well, but I forgot to do a wrench check on the lugnuts after using the impact wrench. A week later while hauling a load of fire wood home one of the rear wheels came off. Got to go to the junk yard to get a rear brake assembly. :(

We don't have any of those big brother inspections in Michigan.

A friend of mine bought some land out in Wyoming. He decided to build a pole building on the property so He would have a place to stay and store things when he was out there. He went to the county office to inquire about building permits and codes and asked, "what do I need so I can build a pole barn" The lady replied, " generally we use 2x4's and such." He laughed and asked what permits he might need. She replied " Nails are good, it's a free country, your can do whatever you darn well want to" :rofl::rofl::rofl: How refreshing is that!!!

Paul
Pretty darn refreshing.. I live across from the township building.. Right after I got out here everyone got together and decided they wanted to continue and see pretty farms. So you can't build a house on less than 20 acres unless it was previously zoned R1. Of course then there were some that were complaining about those tractors and combines running at night. You just want to see the pretty country side ya know..