An idea for a coffee table...

Dan Noren

Staff member
This is an idea for a coffee table that i had at work. I did some rough idea sketches, then drew it up properly in SU when i got home. Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome. smart remarks will be graded on originality and creativity, then billed accordingly.

Thanks again!

Dan

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 48
This is an idea for a coffee table that i had at work. I did some rough idea sketches, then drew it up properly in SU when i got home. Humble opinions, suggestions, hints, tips and pointers are all welcome. smart remarks will be graded on originality and creativity, then billed accordingly.

Thanks again!

Dan
First of all, welcome to the family!:wave:
Gotta tell ya, I really like that design. Strong Asian and A&C influence? Good lines and the cross rails between the stretchers add a lot.:thumb:

Thanks! Mostly A&C influenced, any asian influence is accidental. I've been hooked on the A&C style for some time now. i've built all our furniture that way. The hook was really set when i saw a couch very similar to the one i built, and they wanted $3000 for it, without upholstery. One could say that the creative woodworker, and the cheapskate in me were awakened at the same time! :rofl:

You asked there is one thing I am an expert on. That is my opinion! :rofl:

And don't get my comments wrong, I like it! Just not quite right for my taste.

Love the slats on the bottom. That is novel and should be challenging enough to build to make it fun.

It's so close but I can't put my finger on what it is that bothers me. I think if it were mine I would skip the glass and the recess at the top of the legs. Those just don't say A&C to me. A solid wood top would look better I think. But that is just if it were mine! You may love it and that's what matters.

Dan,

I really like the design. Something about it makes me think of Southwest like New Mexico. In your SU picture, is the top hovering above the tenons to show how it attaches or is there a permanent recess (per Jeff's response) on each leg below the top?

Welcome,

Thanks again!

Dan
I like the look and design. Here's a tip. If you have a Habitat for Humanity store close,check them out(if you haven't already done so) I bought a piece of glass for a table there for....$10.oo. It was 3/8 x 32 x 48"(actually a window pane) They don't always have what you need but once in a while you get a bargain. I've found several other bargains there along with the usual assortment of junk.

I like the look and design. Here's a tip. If you have a Habitat for Humanity store close,check them out(if you haven't already done so) I bought a piece of glass for a table there for....$10.oo. It was 3/8 x 32 x 48"(actually a window pane) They don't always have what you need but once in a while you get a bargain. I've found several other bargains there along with the usual assortment of junk.

good tip,, i got a few bargins in y shop from one of those stores and it recycling too!