Here we go again buy or build? Pics added 4/12/13

Chuck Thoits

Here we go again buy or build? The last of the pics added 6/4/13

So I decided that it is time for a kitchen upgrade. I went to one of our kitchen suppliers and asked for a price she apparently does not like how the layout of the kitchen was going to be so she never got back to us with price. The second one came in at 8800 but could not get the cabinet style I want. So that was a big no I'm not going to give you that kind of money for something I don't want. The third place came in at 8600 but they have to install them which is included in the price. So I told them to go ahead and wright it up so we can get the ball rolling. Never heard back from them after that. the fourth place came in at 14500 and the fifth is just over 13K.
Needless to say I was not real big on the 86 hundred but was thinking that it was doable with the amount of work backing up in the shop. But if you can't get them to place an order than you can't get cabinets from them. Not that they would have had a very fun time installing my kitchen. Funny how when someone tells you we have to do the install just how picky I would have become.:rofl:
So at any rate today I stopped and got the maple for the kitchen so far I'm into it for a whopping 300 bucks. I am estimating the ply and hardware to run me another 2K or so we shall see. :thumb:

Last edited:
Come on Chuck, we NEED another kitchen build, they are a great follow along and I think with a little coaching from the good folks here, you just might make it through a build like this:D

It is surprising how many people don't want to work isn't it. Seems there are people who want a job as long as it isn't too much effort. Not getting back to someone who wants to pay you in this economy is startling. Dad has tried to have a cieling and heat put into his shop. Same scenario, they come out and look at the job, say what you want to hear and then never call back with a quote!?! I'm confused.

As to your kitchen project, go for it. I am not alone in enjoying the ride along on these builds.

just do it.

if you hire someone, youre just going to be unhappy. its not like the installer is going to have any more talent than you, and then if theres a problem, well, youre going to have to address it anyway, so you might as well do the entire job.

besides, youre going to save a small fortune, so you can take your wife on a cruise or buy her a new car.

Last edited:
It is surprising how many people don't want to work isn't it. ...

Tell me about it. I won't hijack this thread, but the way three different contractors treated us on our bathroom remodel, the local economy must be marvelous!

As to your kitchen project, go for it. I am not alone in enjoying the ride along on these builds.

Ditto on this! I'm not planning a full re-do of our kitchen cabinets, but am thinking of adding molding to the flat door panels to dress them up a bit.

And were off. Here we have just about 300 dollars of 2.25" maple now.
Well really it's 2 5/16th I still need to joint it on one side.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_start 001.JPG
    tn_start 001.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 88
Yeah but is this one really a fair comparison? ;) I mean Chuck can't even buy them at all it appears :huh: At that point any cost (reasonable) cost for making them starts looking more reasonable than the folks you can't buy them from!

Looking forward to what you do here - much more fun than buying :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: