gasoline and the pickup

allen levine

yeah, I know we all have to pay steep prices, and I usually never let my tank get much lower than 1/2 full and then put 30 bucks into it.

today, my dash computer said 72 miles to empty, so I figured better go fill up the F-150

it just really hit home. wow.

Yeah, my E250 extended van's tank is 34 gal. I usually put about 30 in when it is empty. What chaps me is when the pump automatically shuts off at 90 or 100 dollars, and I have to reach for the credit card...again. Jim.

Had little less than 1/4 tank today, $62.00 to fill it. It is what it is. Nephew has a Jeep Cherokee, gets 11-13 mpg, my 1/2 ton 4 door 4X4 Dodge gets that with a trailer otherwise 16-19 mpg empty.

We had plans for a nice dinner and a movie tonight, but we blew it off after the gas gauge gave up the ghost sat afternoon...bad enough the F150 has a 30+ gallon tank, but when you have no clue it's get's dicey traveling...$$$ to fix as the sending unit's in the tank,which has to be dropped... told her we'll have to keep track via the mileage for a week or two until we get 'er fixed...the truck I'm talking about the truck :p

Yeah, my E250 extended van's tank is 34 gal. I usually put about 30 in when it is empty. What chaps me is when the pump automatically shuts off at 90 or 100 dollars, and I have to reach for the credit card...again. Jim.

Most gas stations seem to have some limit (years back it was $75) on a credit/debit card. I've often wondered, what or how do OTR truck drivers pay? (do pumps with diesel have a different limit?)

But I still pay cash for gas (average is $80-$90 every ten to fourteen days). Here we do have a joke as gas stations used to not take large bills. Now we say they laugh and ask if that is all you had?
I still have to drop my tank (GMC from the period they are known to go bad), as the fuel pump has worked since I bought it, I am not in a hurry. (used to do that in a shop)

One of the nice things about working with my next-door neighbor is that I don't have a commute to and from work. (My 'commute' is a walk to the end of my driveway and get in the driver's seat of his truck.) I filled up my Lexus last week ($58 or so) and noticed it had been almost a month since I'd last filled it. I fill my truck about every 2 months.

I cut back simply by staying home.
Two weeks ago I bought a replacement string for one of our thermal shades. The 'store' that had them is in a home in a semi-rural area north of town. I'm south of town. They couldn't make change for my $20.00. The string was $2.65. I agreed to bring the money later. Going for the string then returning to pay will cost a total of about $16.00 gasoline money. I ain't a happy camper with those folks. :(
And, the tank on my Ram is a 28 gal. job. Knocks the dickens out of my monthly $150.00 Wal-Mart gas card if I let it get low.
If I had kept my farm I would be riding a mule.

My weekly fill up is about $100 average for just my truck. My wife is about to start doing a lot of daily driving for appointments, but her car gets about double the mpg that mine does. Mine is mostly highway between work and home, averaging about 15 mpg.

I think our gas prices are probably a little lower here in the midwest though, been paying around $3.54 per gallon (87 octane).

the good thing is I dont do alot of driving anymore.
My wife has a small import that is great for mpg.

It was just that shock of seeing the pump go past 100 and not stopping.

When I look at something on craigslist, or look to buy wood, I take into account the cost of driving somewhere with tolls so high and gasoline, it sometimes pays to just go to the local guy who charges alot more but for small quantities, it works out cheaper.

I filled my tank (diesel) on my truck the other day and a guy was there filling his big motor home RV. I start talking to him, when I left he was still filling and over $400 already!!! In WA, diesel is more expensive than gas, yet costs less to produce, go figure.