Dust collection question

larry merlau

ok if you have one dust collector hooked up to existing duct work, and get a draw of some degree. if you were to hook another identical motor and impellor setup to the same duct work threw a double wye and exhaust it out threw said bags or directly outside.. would you have more draw at the machines? would it be double the draw or not???

thats what i am thinking drew, if i had two hooked up to the same lines i should get double the draw..but i am not a hvac guy and definitely not the brightest penny in the can:)

I think you'd end up being limited by the capacity of the ductwork - both volume and velocity-wise.

Might be better to just split the ducting and use different DCs for different tools.

That's just my guess, though. I have no experiences to back it up.

Just my 2 cents
If they both draw 5 cfm than would it not make scents that there would be a 10 cfm draw at the pipe?:dunno::dunno::dunno:
That is as long as the pipe could handle the air volume.

that is how i see it chuck i know you cant only draw so much threw a small hole but if i a vacuum sweeper was hooked to it it would be alot less draw than a real dc motor and impeller

I sort of look at it as a stream ( I always think air flow as similar to that of water) if you have two eaqual drops spitting the stream you don't get a bigger flow just less volume. It's a simplistic approch but I think it sounds valid.

I wonder if this will compare to your standard car engine,-all of the cylinders draw the same amount of fuel + air if they are working properly

I sort of look at it as a stream ( I always think air flow as similar to that of water) if you have two eaqual drops spitting the stream you don't get a bigger flow just less volume. It's a simplistic approch but I think it sounds valid.

Or we could go red neck :thumb: Take a pulling tractor one motor is good 4 is better.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Gasturbines_Baby_Duck_tractor_pulling.jpg

Larry,

We have several water and stock pump systems in the mill like this. Keep in mind, water and paper stock (basically water) are non compressible fluids, so it works differently. The flow nearly doubles, depending on pipe size. If the pipe size is too small, then friction takes over and the flow is less. The discharge pressure goes up about 15% if the pipe size is right. Otherwise, the pumps run hotter than normal because the flow is cut back through each pump.

Keep in mind, we are interested in the discharge on the pump systems.

In the vacuum system, you are concerned about the "suction" side. Since the air is compressible, you may have a lot less friction effect.

To be a balance system, both blowers have to discharge out side or through similar bag systems or filter systems. Other wise, the path of least resistance will take over and one blower will do most of the work. You have to have the same resistance on the discharge side to get the same flow through each blower. The piping from the main ductwork to the fan should be as closely matched as possible also.

Last edited:
rich i thought it would have to eb the same on the exhaust and the pulling, or it would be un balanced. like a pair of mules, if they dont both work together they wont work.so i would need a double pipe going out side then which is doable..

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by doing this if I may ask?
Is the suction/cfm not sufficient on the system you have now? Are you trying to use more than one machine at a time?

On mine I can run the jointer, planer and tablesaw all at once with 6" duct running to each one.

Just wondering?

The way I sees it, you can only shove so much of a thing through a pipe. If you change water for air and a pipe for ductwork, then hooked two hoses up to one hose with a "Y" and turned on the two faucets, I don’t think you would fill a 5 gallon bucket any faster than if you had one hose hooked to a faucet. But then again, maybe I’m thinking too simple.

chuck i can see tryun to fill a pipe with two faucets but i am in reverse i am drawing out air and hopefully more volume faster. the reason i am thinkun on this is you can find alot small DC for sale but not many larger ones reasonably. i am assuming that i am not using the full capacity of my duct work now.