Maple Cabinets, Staircase, base trim

S

Steve Clardy

Here's my current whole house cabinet, staircase, trim out job I have going.
Cabinets have been in the shop for about a month now. Delivered them yesterday.
Went to install today, and they didn't have all the bath walls painted yet, kitchen electric for dishwasher wasn't done. One floor vent hadn't been changed yet. Floor vents are under the cabinets, which I have to cut the toe kicks out for vent covers. One floor vent was going to be under the dishwasher, so told them they had to move that one.
So with the kitchen being not ready, and only one bath area ready, I started to install one vanity and a towel cabinet in there. Got everything marked for the water lines, drains, then-----------I discovered I had brought every tool except my drill.:mad:

I decided it was a wasted trip, so came back home to get ready to leave early in the morning for a funeral.
Maple ply and lumber.
Minwax stain, a mixture of 3 to 1 Early American and Red Mahogany.

I also have the staircase, all base trim to stain, finish, and install.
Build two adjoining cabinets next to a gas fireplace.
Build a fireplace mantel.
Make all the window sills.
A 23' long wall shelf, 12' up in the entrance to the great room, plus some other stuff.
Probably take me another month to wrap this job up.

I have the island stained, finished now, but not delivered.

Last edited:
Wow Steve,
Ten attached pics in one post!!!
I'm impressed!

Frank Chaffee

[EDIT]: Sorry Steve, in my haste yesterday evening I neglected to say that those cabinets look pretty nice. I'm starting to think that you may actually know what you're doing.

Last edited:
More pics. My storage area for completed cabinets was getting a tad full.
All lower and upper kitchen cabs, vanity's, laundry room cabs, crown molding [I run my own crown and trim] are now delivered to the new home.

Thursday, I'll return and install everything.:D

Last edited:
You haven't got those put in yet??? They look good though my friend. Payday is gettin close now since the delivery is made.

It's been one delay after another. The client took three weeks to decide on the stain color, after I had made most all of the boxes.
Then the house was to be ready last thursday. Then this monday. Then today. Oh well. It gives me time to build the built in wall cabinets, mantel, etc.
I've been trying to get Her to pick out a stair handrail and balistor design She likes, so I can can them ordered, stained, etc.
She's dragging Her feet.:( :rolleyes: :)

Nice job!

Great looking cabinets Steve. Good thing you have a large storage area:p

Is that a micro-fence jig in the pic where you are routing the flutes?

Hope the foot dragging doesn't mean she's rethinking something.

How do you find time to do all that and post to Family Woodworking???

It's been one delay after another. The client took three weeks to decide on the stain color, after I had made most all of the boxes.
Then the house was to be ready last thursday. Then this monday. Then today. Oh well. It gives me time to build the built in wall cabinets, mantel, etc.
I've been trying to get Her to pick out a stair handrail and balistor design She likes, so I can can them ordered, stained, etc.
She's dragging Her feet.:( :rolleyes: :)

Once in a while you get one like that.:( I have had some projects in my shop for quite a while. Like the entertainment center that I just recently completed. I started it more than 2 months ago. That one was my fault for moving it back in the schedule trying to take care of other things first. Seems like one of those kinds of projects kinda plagues my shop at least once or twice a year. I've got about 400 ft of walnut in the shop right now that I can't seem to get the guy to come get. I planned it last spring and jointed one edge and he still hasn't come to get it yet or paid me for my work. I saw him this morning at the cafe and just gave him one of those impatient looks, he knew exactly what was meant by that scowl.:p I sorta need the floor space if you know what I mean.

Looks really good Steve, I sure hope you get it done soon, that looks like a lot of work, and a nice fat cheque should be waiting for you at some point!

You shop looks a little dark, could just be the camera etc, but I was wondering, how much lighting do you have in there?

Cheers!

Great looking cabinets Steve. Good thing you have a large storage area:p

Is that a micro-fence jig in the pic where you are routing the flutes?

Hope the foot dragging doesn't mean she's rethinking something.

How do you find time to do all that and post to Family Woodworking???

Jesse. Thats PC's router guide. I do have the micro jig, for a 7310 router.
And just this year, I got the adpator for the 690 router. Haven't used it yet on the 690.

Time? I find myself screwing off more than working anymore:eek:

cool! bet you`re ready for a check?......did ya` turn or buy the legs? lookin` good....tod

I bought those tod. Found myself getting a little rushed on this job, as I have another cabinet job to start.
I do normally turn those. Those two buggers were $212.00:eek:

Looks really good Steve, I sure hope you get it done soon, that looks like a lot of work, and a nice fat cheque should be waiting for you at some point!

You shop looks a little dark, could just be the camera etc, but I was wondering, how much lighting do you have in there?

Cheers!

Its dark on that side Stu. I haven't ever completed my lightning system on that side of the shop.
About 10-12 more 8 footers ought to finish lightning it up.
One thing that doesn't help in my shop, I have no ceiling yet. Exposed trusses. I loose a lot of light due to that.
One of these days, I'll get a ceiling put in.

Wow Steve,
Ten attached pics in one post!!!
I'm impressed!

Frank Chaffee

[EDIT]: Sorry Steve, in my haste yesterday evening I neglected to say that those cabinets look pretty nice. I'm starting to think that you may actually know what you're doing.

Lol. I try to make everyone at least think I know what I'm doing;)

Had a good day yesterday on installation.
All the bath vanitys, towel cab installed. Had to stop and have one water line moved.
Got started in the kitchen with the lower cabs.
Going back today. With any luck, I'll have all the lower and uppers installed.
Painter were in my way yesterday. They were doing touchups.

Sitting here waiting on a material delivery for the staircase, and another cabinet job. I can't leave here till the material comes.:(

Insallation went well friday afternoon, 1:30 to 5:00

Will install crown molding monday, or at least that's the current plan;)

Last edited:
hi steve

cabinets look great. if i may ask a question about the corner section of the kitchen. what is the reason for setting the front of the corner cabinet back from the front of the other cabs? i have never seen it done this way and i was just curious if it was a functional reason or if it was design driven.

thanks
chris