Pass around opportunity, Going to Antonio Martinez'

Well folks, been pretty busy lately so haven't been posting as much, still stop in but time is short. Parent's new home on our farm is getting rebuilt and enclosed, oldest daughter getting married Sept. 5th on our farm, wife has broken bones in her foot and we seem to be logging the miles going to doctors visits. So, on to my reason for posting. I pm'ed Vaughn and actually got "THE OFFICIAL OKEY DOKEY" to do this and he is participating. This is for turners only and actually, Vaughn will start this deal by being the first participant, I will be in as the last participant and I am looking for the FIRST FIVE TURNERS THAT SIGN UP. Here is the deal.

Pass around - - - Pendant Mandrel

This is an opportunity to actually use a tool you don't own. I own it and hope you all use it but don't abuse it/loose it. What is a pendant mandrel??

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

You can make earrings, pendants for watch fobs, necklaces, all kinds of things. You screw it onto your lathe, double stick tape a small piece of wood (dry wood, wet wood tends to "fly", I will send some tape along) and go at it. I didn't get any specific instructions with it, but what I have found is I can detail a very thin piece of wood on it with it being driven in the center position. Then by moving the center drive from the back to offset, you can really make a neat design. To continue that design around the circumference of the piece of wood taped on, remove the four screws, move it however many holes you want and rescrew it on and make the same cut. Then take the screws out and move the same number of holes and redo again. Repeating this procedure and cut will provide a complete design. It is interesting and I have played with it but all of my turning things are sitting right now as I am building feed bunks and working dawn til dark around the farm.

Rules:

1. Upon the pendant mandrel getting to your home, you have five days to play with it. Upon the end of your five days, pass it on to the next participant in the list (I will try to have preposted labels in the box). If you don't foresee five days in your future either pass on this opportunity or when you get the box and your time doesn't allow it, send it on. Please don't hold it for "that day I get to the shop".

2. Write up your experiences and post some photos of the things you made using this pendant mandrel. That is all I ask of you using a new tool I haven't used much. I want to see different ideas/suggestions/etc from you to better utilize this when I do have the time this winter to turn.

Participants:

First: Vaughn (he can help set the standard for writing a review and posting pictures)

Last: Me (I do want this back as I do plan on using it this winter!, by being last it ends up back at home).

FIRST FIVE TO SIGN UP in a post below.

1. Antonio Martinez

2. Chuck Thoits

3. Bruce Shiverdecker

4. Brent Dowell

5.John Daugherty

No gimmick, no sales pitch, I don't make these, don't know the guy that made them, bought a couple last year, my students either love it or hate it. It will teach you to cut lightly! Honestly, I saw a version of this on another forum I visit, a guy sent around a tool for those that didn't own it to get a chance to hold/use/carry it for a week. Thought it an excellent idea. This is a tool I thought some might not have, might not buy without knowing its real opportunities. So, as soon as I hit the SUBMIT NEW THREAD button on this thread, THE FIRST FIVE will be given this opportunity.

Last edited:
I'd be in on this, but, the shipping and time to ship is too much, plus, I'm in a similar boat as Don, too much going on, and I've got a big (for me) build in the works, so I'll pass.

Great opportunity for sure, Kudo's Jonathan!

Cool. :thumb: This promises to be fun. :D Thanks for the idea and the willingness to start it up. Now I've gotta start searching the Intarwebs for some examples of things other people have done with them.

To maximize the exposure to this mandrel, are there any LA area turners who'd like to come by my shop and give it a test spin? (Mohammad and Dan, I'm looking at you guys. Glenn and Jim too, if they feel like the drive. :p) I'm assuming I'll have it over a weekend, so I'm sure I could fit a group turning day into the schedule.

Cool. :thumb: This promises to be fun. :D Thanks for the idea and the willingness to start it up. Now I've gotta start searching the Intarwebs for some examples of things other people have done with them.

To maximize the exposure to this mandrel, are there any LA area turners who'd like to come by my shop and give it a test spin? (Mohammad and Dan, I'm looking at you guys. Glenn and Jim too, if they feel like the drive. :p) I'm assuming I'll have it over a weekend, so I'm sure I could fit a group turning day into the schedule.

If you or anyone else getting this pendant mandrel put together a group or another turner to your shop, most definitely keep it over a weekend for this type of activity. Hadn't thought of that situation, that would be fun for all involved and really get the thoughts going!

Mighty nice of you Jonathan :thumb:
If I was any good at turning I'd give it a go. But I would just screw it up. Looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.
Another wedding :eek::eek::eek:

Bob, put yourself in. All that matters is you use it and learn. You would have to work hard at "screwing it up". Worst case scenario here, you might find a tool you don't have and can't live without! It sounds complicated, but in actuality it is easy and produces really neat discs of wood with intricate designs.

excellent jester jonathan, and a very neat idea,, this will be intersting to se ehow it goes.. and i know vaughn mentioned this spring he kinda wanted one, now he can use one without buying it yet:)

This is a great idea Jonathan! :thumb::thumb: I too would love to be a part, but I have way to much going on for the next few months to be part of it...maybe next round.

That's a great idea Jonathan.. I'm like Don and Stu though... too much going on now and doing pendants is way down on my list of things to do... plus I hate using another man's tools... always worry that I'll mess them up and ruin them.

Very generous of you to offer though.:thumb::thumb:

That's a great idea Jonathan.. I'm like Don and Stu though... too much going on now and doing pendants is way down on my list of things to do... plus I hate using another man's tools... always worry that I'll mess them up and ruin them.

Very generous of you to offer though.:thumb::thumb:

Chuck, I understand being busy. I also don't like using/sharing my tools generally. I have a nephew that is so full of energy and is buying my grandparent's house from my parents. He is remodeling, adding extra footage in a second floor. I have been sharing some tools with him and it is working out. I am eventually getting some labor from him for this exchange.
Don't worry about messing it up. It is solid aluminum with nylon bolts so the worst that can happen is you cross thread a nylon bolt, just get another one! Don't let that worry you. When I said treat it with respect, I was meaning not leave it out in the weather, get glue or paint all over it, beat it with a hammer, shoot it with a 12 gauge slug, stuff like that! Any dings or dents will be history that would have happened to it during its lifetime in my shop. I'm not saying I'll be mailing my pen wizard to y'all, this is pretty fool proof. I know this cause this fool can't proof it!! :rofl::rofl::thumb::thumb:

I have a couple of these chucks, (not sure why I bought 2) and you would really have to work to screw one up. They are well made and easy to use. There is quit a bit of info on them on that "other forum" (IAP). They are fun to play with.