A "How do I do this" ?

I want to make #1 wife a baguette/french bread slicing rack. It's pretty basic but I'm in a quandary as to how to cut the channel. Aside from hacking it out with an adze or Lancelot tool, I thought about rigging an offset fence on the table saw. I'd only try to take off about 1/4" at a time.

Anybody ever done this?

Alan

Am I the only one wondering what his #2 wife thinks of all this?
No, that hit me too :D.

For one that is open on both ends I would start with a wider blank, cut the cove on the tablesaw, and refine from there. This is a technique to practice carefully.

I had a snare-drum-sphincter the first couple of times but this has become a normal thing for me now. The calculator is OK but I tend to just draw the arc on the end of a test blank and dial it in form there.

Attachments

• New Shop (439).jpg
    New Shop (439).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5
  • New Shop (438).jpg
    New Shop (438).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 5
  • GnG Low CoD (228).JPG
    GnG Low CoD (228).JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 4
  • GnG Low CoD (229).JPG
    GnG Low CoD (229).JPG
    409 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Personally, I think I'd go with the table saw route, since I already have that tool on hand. Like Glenn said, the first cove cut on a table saw can be a bit of a backside clencher, but with properly clamped guides on both sides of the workpiece it's a pretty straightforward operation.

I think I'm going to try the table saw first. I'm not adept with the plunge router (since I've never used it. It just sits there daring me to come near it). I'll try some practice runs on something soft to get the hang of it before I do the real thing.

Alan

I think I'm going to try the table saw first. I'm not adept with the plunge router (since I've never used it. It just sits there daring me to come near it). I'll try some practice runs on something soft to get the hang of it before I do the real thing.

Alan
Not trying to push you. I think the tablesaw is the answer to your cove-cut challenge right now. This is not true for all woodworkers but the router is the solution for many ideas I have. Someday, down the road, I predict that you will wonder how you ever got by without a plunge router ;-)