commemorative Plaque

Don Baer

Staff member
I have been asked to produce a plaque to commemorate the Legion Riders from our post who have taken their last ride A Rider Down plaque. The inscription reads "Down but not forgotten." This is the final two designs. the first used standard 3"x1" brass plates to inscribe the Rider Name and branch of the military. Someone suggest maybe using Dog Tags instead of the brass plates. A Dog Tag is 2" x 1.125 and has a 1/8" Hole in one end.

1706980642967.jpeg1706980681580.jpeg

I favor the first version since I want to make the Veterans Name as last as possible and with the 2 " dog tag I would be more restricted. What are your thoughts.

I like the brass plate idea better. The dog tags while maybe a sentimental favorite, just seems too small.

I kinda like the dog tag idea, with the name embossed the same as it's done in the military. Not as easy to read, but it seems fitting considering the organization displaying it.

My fear is that with the dog tags the lettering could be to small to read. I did some checking on the length og Names and I believe I need to allow for names to be 14 character long. Not every one will have a name that long but in order to appear uniform I will need to use the same size font. I did a test run and as you can see there is a big difference and when you hold the test piece at arms length the dog tag is hard to read.
20240203_133750.jpg

How much room do you have? Of the two choices I favor the brass plate. However, depending on how much room you have I would also consider a bit larger plaque with lasered squares, maybe 4"x4". Inside the top of each square would be the person's name engraved on a black brass plate, below which, hanging on the left of the square from a small brass screw, would be an actual pair of military style dog tags engraved with the persons name. To the right of the dog tags would be a small laminated photograph or other likeness of the person. Shouldn't cost much more than $25 each instance... and would make remberance a bit more personal. Could even be in a single row stretched along the wall or behind the bar on a long slender placque. Just another thought.

How much room do you have? Of the two choices I favor the brass plate. However, depending on how much room you have I would also consider a bit larger plaque with lasered squares, maybe 4"x4". Inside the top of each square would be the person's name engraved on a black brass plate, below which, hanging on the left of the square from a small brass screw, would be an actual pair of military style dog tags engraved with the persons name. To the right of the dog tags would be a small laminated photograph or other likeness of the person. Shouldn't cost much more than $25 each instance... and would make remberance a bit more personal. Could even be in a single row stretched along the wall or behind the bar on a long slender placque. Just another thought.
Not in the budget...lol although there are only two names at present to go on the plaque