From the humblest of beginnings - FINISHED!!

Ill tell ya what it does remind me of.
Many moons ago I had a guy build me a cash register stand to lift the register about 6 inches off the counter and he built a similar box with a drawer. It actually looks very similar, although a bit smaller than the one I had built. He took the extra time to cut the walls and top/bottom mitred at 45 degrees so he didnt have to put any edge moulding on top to hide the ends of the boards.

Last edited:
Or perhaps the pics don't show the nylon straps that allow you to wear it on your chest.
Then it would be your Drawer of Chests. :p

It's a little house for your turtle.

Wait for it....

Your box turtle. :D
I'm guessing you're too close to some of the fires in CA and you're inhaling some bad smoke..... right?:D

Seriously, there have been a lot of good guesses and this has been a great deal of fun.

Please keep them coming as I won't be disclosing the purpose of the box until I can get the hardware mounted and at least get Art's nail holes filled and maybe even apply a finish coat of some kind. Don't worry - it won't be long.:rofl:

Ill tell ya what it does remind me of.
Many moons ago I had a guy build me a cash register stand to lift the register about 6 inches off the counter and he built a similar box with a drawer. It actually looks very similar, although a bit smaller than the one I had built. He took the extra time to cut the walls and top/bottom mitred at 45 degrees so he didnt have to put any edge moulding on top to hide the ends of the boards.
The plywood shows only in the back and on the drawer sides. I might add some trim to the back.... good idea.

Good guesses from everyone. You all don't know how close you've gotten:eek: in a collective borg kind of way.:D

ok rennie

we know yuour gettin old and have got a fence to build as well as a set of cabinets for the wife... so it could be a extension for your office to stash your phone book under the phone or in your truck to store the nessecites when you go on your trips.. just grab it and go. the hard ware is to lock it up and a hndle to open it with. or it could be a donation box for the church folk. but i feel its more for your own use if it was for the church you wouldnt have made the silly goof ups cuz the guy upstairs would have been steadying your hands and your mind to keep them in sink:D

we know yuour gettin old and have got a fence to build as well as a set of cabinets for the wife... so it could be a extension for your office to stash your phone book under the phone or in your truck to store the nessecites when you go on your trips.. just grab it and go. the hard ware is to lock it up and a hndle to open it with. or it could be a donation box for the church folk. but i feel its more for your own use if it was for the church you wouldnt have made the silly goof ups cuz the guy upstairs would have been steadying your hands and your mind to keep them in sink:D
You are gifted with great insight Larry. Thanks. you're right.

To everyone else - The "Borg" mind is at work.:eek:

As is, it does look a bit rough to go in the house. I also wondered if it was a storage box to go under the seat in the van/truck - to hold a kleenex box and/or other doodads.

But that trim around the edge of the top wouldn't make any sense in that case. It looks like it is meant to restrain/contain something. Which is why I also thought it was maybe a box to go under the phone for the phone book. But then we're bumping up against my first sentence again.

Maybe it's for the garage, or mudroom - hold the keys and sunglasses right beside the door, and maybe the mail on top.

...art

Last edited:
As is, it does look a bit rough to go in the house. I also wondered if it was a storage box to go under the seat in the van/truck - to hold a kleenex box and/or other doodads.

But that trim around the edge of the top wouldn't make any sense in that case. It looks like it is meant to restrain/contain something. Which is why I also thought it was maybe a box to go under the phone for the phone book. But then we're bumping up against my first sentence again.

Maybe it's for the garage, or mudroom - hold the keys and sunglasses right beside the door, and maybe the mail on top.

...art
You guys are good.

Perhaps if I told you it's about 13" wide and about 16" deep and about 6" tall?

Rennie....You sly rascal! You built that to show SWMBO why YOU shouldn't be the one to build the cabinets for the remodeling of the kitchen! You sly dog!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

IT's a box to stuff your receipts in from the Borg as you repair the fence and modernize the kitchen.
I love it!!! It's ALMOST big enough for that!:rofl::rofl:

Rennie....You sly rascal! You built that to show SWMBO why YOU shouldn't be the one to build the cabinets for the remodeling of the kitchen! You sly dog!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Well, that's an idea! BUT - she knows when I build stuff for other people it usually turns out nice enough to keep - but we never do:eek:. She has a problem with that. Can't understand why:dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didn't get much shop time in last night - I was only able to putty the nail holes. I think, based on Arts review, I'm going to paint the box. This will help hide all the, uh, misguided enthusiasm.:eek::rofl:

Sanding tonight, painting on the weekend, then I can post a picture of the finished project as it will be used - then all questions will be answered and all mysteries solved.:thumb:

Gotcha!
It has been designed solely for the sake of having all of us posting on yout thread, it has nothing to do with your initial description!:rofl::rofl:

And I must say that you succeeded in that. Congratulations Rennie.:thumb:

Gotcha!
It has been designed solely for the sake of having all of us posting on yout thread, it has nothing to do with your initial description!:rofl::rofl:

And I must say that you succeeded in that. Congratulations Rennie.:thumb:

toni, you dont know rennie well enouff yet:D he doesnt do anything with out devin intervention:) which in most cases is good thing. so he wouldnt be out here deciveing us heathins:) he has a simple use for this major cabinet he has made and its something we will all need as we get older like him.. remeber he about to embark on a trip to the high hills of idaho and could be used for the journey.