Gavel & sounding Block

....., like you, I prefer a stout handle. I see a lot of gavels with very skinny handles which may be subject to breaking.
The Handle is more a stabilising aid to prevent the 'Head' rolling when place down and a help in the griping of the head in the palm of the hand when using. Come to think about it I can't remember seeing a long handled Gavel in use.

The Handle is more a stabilising aid to prevent the 'Head' rolling when place down and a help in the griping of the head in the palm of the hand when using. Come to think about it I can't remember seeing a long handled Gavel in use.
You haven't seen the gavel Nancy Pelosi or Kevin McCarthy use at the House of Representatives.... it looks like the maul they use at the carnivals for the ring the bell game....

I've made two gavels so far... one from Jatoba and one from Maple....
30-3576_2.JPG 302725 (4).JPG
The Jatoba gavel is the longer of the two handles and a bit skinnier,
The Maple one has a shorter and stockier handle...about 9 or 10 inches long...
The Jatoba one went to a local judge that picked it up at my Farmer's market show a couple of years back.... still showing the Maple waiting for "da Judge" to come....

Beautiful job on that gavel. I've only made one so far. My younger brother was elected County Judge. So I made him a ceremonial gavel from an old oak tree we used to climb in when we were kids. The first shot is the piece that would become the sounding block, head, and handle. Even though the tree was dead, the moisture content was a little higher than I wanted so I dried it in the microwave. Second pic is turned with no finish on it. Final pic is after 3 coats of poly. I thought the hole in the handle gave it some character - not perfect, just like all of us.

Attachments

• 2018 Gavel01.jpg
    2018 Gavel01.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018 Gavel-3.jpg
    2018 Gavel-3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018 Gavel05.jpg
    2018 Gavel05.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6