Getting a SawStop!

Congratulations Stu I am glad to see you did not fall for the Uni Saw. Really look forward to hearing an experienced guy like you give us all a review on this saw. I think that alone would be worth a discount from the Saw Stop guys.

Congratulations Stu I am glad to see you did not fall for the Uni Saw...
And here I was just getting ready to say...

Nice saw Stu, but it's no Unisaw. :p

I'm also concerned about you getting that thing down the hatch into the Dungeon. I'm thinking my Ridgid 3650 would be much easier for you to handle on the hoist. Being the big-hearted guy that I am, I'll let you have the Ridgid, and you can have the SawStop sent to my place. I'll even pay for the shipping. :D

Congrats, man. :thumb:

Thanks fellas :thumb:

Marie Osmond.......... yeah, where DID that come from :huh: :dunno: :eek:

I got some better news, I just found out that my guy in Canada found a better deal, $800 better :thumb:

It will be waiting to be shipped from Coquitlam when I want it :D :thumb:

Cheers!

Something about the shape of that mouth looks familiar. (Note: I am not a fan.)
Here's the original...found it on Google.

smile teeth.jpg

And the fish...

smiling-fish3.jpg

A little clipping and rotating and scaling and Super Glue, et voilà!

Man, this thread sure took a screeching turn from SawStops to fish lips in a hurry, huh? :rofl: In case I failed to say it yet, congrats on the saw, Stu. May it serve you well. :thumb:

And another++++
Should be almost as good as watching Marie Osmond squeeze into a pair of jeans:thumb:
BTW - have they tested this saw on Japanese hot dogs?

Doug, that is really funny that you mention the "Japanese Hot Dogs".

When I went to the Woodworking Machines Trade Show, the guys selling the SawStop were willing to do a live test for me :thumb: But they did not have any hotdogs :huh: (no, I was NOT going to volunteer my finger) so they asked me to wait, while they tried to find one.

They could find the usual Japanese Fish Sausages........

6344589.jpg 6344591.jpg

and while they would work, they just did not have the visual effect, being all white and pasty, they wanted a real hotdog, with a skin and a darker outside and a lighter colored inside to show the very small cut. They found that one of the concession stands sold cooked hot dogs, so they asked to buy an uncooked hot dog, but the concession stand guys would NOT sell them one uncooked, they said it was against the rules, the food had to be cooked to sell it. They even explained to the worker the situation, and said the hot dog would NOT be eaten, and even promised to bring the hot dog back, uneaten, at the end of the day.......... still no dice, the hot dog selling vendor would NOT do it :rolleyes: Sometimes the whole "Stick to the rules" thing here can get way out of hand.

Thus, we did not get to see a live hot dog demo, they were willing to do it, but no wienner :D

Cheers!

I personally dont understand the entire hot dog thing.

I get nicked at least 4 or 5 times a month shaving.

Why dont one of the salesmen or reps at each show who endorse this product just stick his hand into a running blade?

I guess its my lack of any real understanding of woodworking machinery.(and I will never overcome my fear of moving and spinning blades)

Last edited:
Congrats again, Stu...:thumb:

We both know that those fish dogs would stop even a spinning saw blade at a meter away....... :doh:Even worse than Vienna sausages, 5 years past their expire date....:eek:

I personally dont understand the entire hot dog thing.

I get nicked at least 4 or 5 times a month shaving.

Why dont one of the salesmen or reps at each show who endorse this product just stick his hand into a running blade?

Allen,

There's a new video out, where the president of the company does exactly that!

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/11/21/video-sawstop-inventor-puts-his-finger-in-a-sawstop/

Hard to watch, but he doesn't even get a scratch...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I can tell everyone here the saw works great, and is well designed and top quaility parts as well. I purchased this saw for my Dad earlier this summer when he decided to cut his finger in his old TS and he just happened to have done it again when I was there. Lucky for him that I was there that day as no one else was home and since he is on blood thinners it could have turned out differently. But that was the last time he was going to use that old Grizzly TS, went out that week and purchased the Saw Stop, and I also purchased a extra brake for the regular blade as well as the dado blade and good thing I did as he happened to be using a metal push stick (alumium) and it made contact with the TS blade and tripped the braking mechanisim.

Attachments

• Saw Stop012_edited (Medium).jpg
    Saw Stop012_edited (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 17
  • Saw Stop003_edited (Medium).jpg
    Saw Stop003_edited (Medium).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 18
  • sawstop 1 (Medium).jpg
    sawstop 1 (Medium).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 25
Dan, thanks for the report, you have a lucky Dad :thumb:

I think the reason why they use a wiener is that even watching the video of the company president putting his finger into the saw is hard to watch, I imagine it would really turn some stomachs in person, scare the kids kind of thing :dunno:

Cheers!

I got some better news, I just found out that my guy in Canada found a better deal, $800 better :thumb:

That would be good news, if it was actually your money. But as it is the M-I-Law's dough, and she's already approved the price, the correct approach is to have your guy slip in another $800 worth of purchases!!!! ;):rofl:

Kidding. Seriously. I am. Ask my wife.

...art

Stu, Welcome to the club. You are going to LOVE the saw. It will be the best 168 hours you ever worked! Wow, just realised that is more than a month of work! Great purchase none the less.

Last edited:
Stu,

Congrats. You'll absolutely love it.

After getting mine off of the Home Depot rental truck, I look forward to seeing the video of the saw on it's way to the dungeon.

Be safe.