Jacaranda Box

Dave Hoskins

Finished this little gem up today. The diameter is 4", total height 4 1/4", vessel height 2 3/4", vessel depth 2", and volume 1 cup. Wood sealed with walnut oil. Used orange oil wax for the finishing for a more satin like finish.

Attachments

• BXJAC3.JPG
    BXJAC3.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 10
  • BXJAC3A.JPG
    BXJAC3A.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
  • BXJAC3B.JPG
    BXJAC3B.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BXJAC3C.JPG
    BXJAC3C.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 6
  • BXJAC3D.JPG
    BXJAC3D.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BXJAC3E.JPG
    BXJAC3E.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC3F.JPG
    BXJAC3F.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC3G.JPG
    BXJAC3G.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 10
Nice one, Dave. We gotta get you a better photo set up though. For small things it should be easy. Might help sales. Lots of folks here with experience. Interested in experimenting?

Pretty sure you'll like using that, Dave. I see it comes with backdrops, too. At some point you might try a gradient background, too. It's just a sheet that goes from light to dark gray. You can buy sheet plastic versions of them, but they're a bit pricey. You can also just go to FedEx Office/Kinko's and have them print something like this on their large format printer:
Gradient Background 600.jpg
If you decide to go that route, let me know and I can send you a higher resolution version of that .jpg file.

That set up is worth a try, Dave.
Plus 1 on Vaughn's excellent suggestion. Also, if you want to experiment, or if you have something too big for that box, try setting up your own DIY photo booth. In addition to a camera, a simple set up for most turned things involves a light source, something to diffuse the light, and a back ground (gradient preferred). I use two of these cheap aluminum reflectors from Lowe's and add daylight LED bulbs. One light gets clamped up high on one side, the second gets clamped low on the other side. I use a gradient background similar to this one, with a light colored foreground fading to a darker grey background, but a piece of light grey mat board works too. To diffuse the light and help eliminate hot spots I invested in a fairly large pop up photo tent because I do big stuff, plus I take a lot of pictures for the missus' Etsy store. Anything that diffuses the light will work...a white sheet draped over a frame, a box made out of that cheap 1" white Styrofoam from the big box...I used a cheap Styrofoam cooler from 7-11 for a long time.

Set up your camera on a tripod, play with the lighting, take a bunch of shots, open up the pics in something like IrfanView, crop, sharpen, auto adjust colors, done! Not the greatest examples, but you get the idea.
DSC_3585.JPG, Cherry-1.jpg ,
DSC_2931.JPG, ,DSC_2924.JPG