Lookin' out for number two.

Roger Tulk

My wife is part of a group of ladies at my church who make quilts for an organization, Victoria Quilts, which makes quilts to be given to cancer survivors. Ours is only one of the number of such groups. When I get my shop going I plan to make quilt racks, and sell them when the local group has displays, proceeds to the Cancer Society of course.

My wife is a quilter also. When the local Quilt Guild was up and operating, they made small quilts in red, white, and blue as bed drapes for veterans in hospice. It seems most quilt groups have some type of charity program to benefit groups with needs. They do produce some remarkable, functional art. They also provide woodworkers with great cover since our tools and supplies rarely come close to the cost of sewing machines, quilting machines, rulers, and fabric stashes.

As a cancer survivor I can tell you such things are much appreciated. You are never so alone as when you are fighting cancer. No matter how many people are with you and working to help defeat this insidious disease when you are alone with your thoughts it is a very dark and lonely place.

I spent a lot of time in waiting rooms with others who were fighting cancer and they are very sad places to be.

My wife is a quilter also. When the local Quilt Guild was up and operating, they made small quilts in red, white, and blue as bed drapes for veterans in hospice. It seems most quilt groups have some type of charity program to benefit groups with needs. They do produce some remarkable, functional art. They also provide woodworkers with great cover since our tools and supplies rarely come close to the cost of sewing machines, quilting machines, rulers, and fabric stashes.
My wife, Mida, is also an avid quilter. She's currently finishing up the second "Veteran's Quilt" for this season. They'll be displayed at the Columbiana, Ohio county fair, then donated to a group that will give them to deserving veterans.
Her guild also makes pillowcases for the Akron Children's Hospital (The kids take them home with them), as well as for a local charity that actually makes bed frames for homeless/destitute and abused families. Another of the guild's projects is wheelchair bags for nursing home patients and 'crayon rolls' for orphans, hospital patients, and CPS kids. They pretty much have one or another project going every month.

As for the tool expenses - Heck Yeah! With sewing machines in the $5,000 ~ $8,000 range (and planned for obsolescence every few years), and long-arm quilting setups in the $11,000 ~ $20,000 range, as well as all the 'accessory purchases, and cloth at $12 ~ $20 per yard, quilting make woodworking look like an economy hobby.