New to the site with a few questions

Westley don't let salad bowl finish fool you. In one of the woodturning magazines they talked about it being not much different than danish oil or antique oil. I talked with Ernie Conover when I met him in Virginia a couple of years ago and he uses Antique Oil on everything including eating untensils. So now I either use Minwax Antique Oil or General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by a couple of coats of Arm-R-Seal for all my eating bowls and kitchen untensils. If they are left to dry for 72 hrs. they will be food safe. I have a set of salad/cereal bowls I did a year ago with the general finishes. I left them to cure for about a month. I eat from one of them everyday. Just make sure you wash them with warm soapy water and dry them right away. Then let them air dry before putting them away. Oh and one other thing. I found bowls I used the Salad Bowl finish on 2 1/2 yrs. ago are starting to turn yellow. Ernie Conover said he found the same thing happen plus he said some of his got slightly gummy. That would be a mess. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yeah, that bloodwood does give some nice red dust! I like to collect a bit of it and other colored wood dust and save it to use in other work later.
By the way, that's a very pretty lady in your avatar! Is that your sister?:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Okay, just kidding.:D
Have a great day, Westley!

As usual Wes, I'm late in welcoming you to the group.. congrats on the elm... I had to have a big elm taken down in my yard last year... it was about 24-30 inches diameter at the base and about 50 ft tall... I'll have elm to turn the rest of my life if is doesn't rot before I get to it all... nice hard wood and good to work with. My elm has been down for over a year, so I'm not working with green wood, so can't help much with any advise there.. I recently bought a 2 x 12 x 50" blood wood board to use in making peppermills and game calls... you are right.. it does get hard and makes a very fine red dust..

Be very careful with working with the dust off the lathe.. be sure you have good masks and dust extraction in your work area.