Ordered a new planer!

John Pollman

I ordered my Dewalt DW735X today. I got it on Amazon. It was a Black Friday deal for $499. Pretty good deal, they are normally $649. Now I have to order my Shelix helical cutter head. They are $455, but well worth it from what I understand. It takes a good planer to a whole other level. They are apparently on backorder until late December, but there's no hurry.

This is gonna be fun!

That is what I would buy or the 734 (maybe I don't use one enough that the 734 wouldn't suffice..) I have a Delta, had it for years and it was good enough for me... BUT I it took it all apart many months ago and well, lets just say I haven't gotten things adjusted well enough since I put it back together, that it is usable.... I let it sit thinking I will get back to it some day and maybe I well... but it is old and every once in a while I get a ping that says I need to replace it...

I started with a Delta a long time ago and just wore it out! I've had a 735 for many years now. Ordered from Amazon for $100 less than Lowe's. Talked to the guys at Lowe's about pricing, but they were powerless to alter their offer. Crazy thing is that I ordered a 735 and got the 735X because that's all Amazon had or the warehouse guy didn't know the difference.

The 735X has been a workhorse and have only one problem with it. I don't know what the part is called, but it is just above the blades and steers the chips into the exhaust system. I've run so much through it that a portion of the part is worn away, allowing a few chips to fall back to the table. It's not a major problem for me, though.

Pretty easy so far. Except for getting the damn internal snap ring off of the cutter head. The two small external ones were a piece of cake, but the large internal one is a bugger. Even with a pair of snap ring pliers!

She's all stripped down. As I said above, the only difficult thing was the internal snap ring on the one side. Once that came out, it was no big deal. Now I just have to remove the 40 cutter heads so that there's clearance for the install, Small price to pay for keeping the OEM cutting capacity and the material removal gauge reading correctly. Won't be long and I'll start reassembling her.

DW735 upgrd 2.jpg